Battery back-up smokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

I can't seem to find (NEC) reference for a 120v hard-wired smok/co detectors REQUIRING battery back-up.

The question(s) are:
- Is battery back-up required in a hardwired smoke system in a SFH?
- Is battery back-up required for a hardwired smoke system in a multifamily dwelling (MFD)in each dwelling unit?
- Is battery back-up required in a hardwired smoke system in the common areas of a MFD?

I don't recall ever putting in a BRK/Firex head that didn't have a battery back-up.

I understand this may be a local code, also.

celtic

Re: Battery back-up smokes

This is not for me...it's a question/debate that was raised by a friend in Texas.

As I have no plans on calling Texas anytime soon, I am hoping someone here will have an answer.

[ August 08, 2005, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: celtic ]

jimwalker

I would hope it's required every where.Something this cheap that saves lives is worth that extra few dollars.And i but the good bat for the one in my house

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by celtic:
This is not for me...it's a question/debate that was raised by a friend in Texas.
Yeah it is for a friend. ;)

Take a look here the answer may be there.

celtic

Thanks for the link iwire.

What is this "Homeland" business?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
Is Bob being hip? :D
No, that is not possible.

I did not call you a 'peep', 'homie' or 'my crew'

[ August 08, 2005, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

physis

I see what's goin here. I just visited the other thread.

No, I'm not the guy you're looking for Bob but I have a feeling he's rreeaall near by.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by celtic:

I don't recall ever putting in a BRK/Firex head that didn't have a battery back-up.

I actually have some of the BRK's without battery back-up. I guess they are 8-10 years old. Brand new in the box, never been installed.

I guess I could turn one over, remove the innerds and make it an ashtry. And the base would make a nifty little throw toy for the kids.

physis

I accidently got a bunch without batteries from Home Depot once because they were in identicle boxes as the ones with battery all mixed together. Well, one number was different.

Edit: Hi Todd, I see you have a new signature.

[ August 08, 2005, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

haskindm

Smoke detector specifications and placement are not an NEC issue. You will need to know what building or fire code is followed in this area and what is required by that code. In our area battery backup is required, there must be a detector on each floor level, and in each "sleeping area".

renosteinke

The governing code is the adopted building code- be it BOCA, Cabo, or whatever.

Another factor of great importance to the answer is when the building in question was built. This is one area where the rules have changed frequently.

The curent rules, for new homes, require the alarms in a house to be inter-connected so if one sounds, theey all sound. They need not be on the same, or a dedicated circuit- there is at least one company making alarms that communicate with each other, without actually needing a wire connecting the units together.
The current rules also require the alarms be primarily powered by AC, with a battery back-up.

Older buildings will generally have alarms with battery power only. That's OK- that was the rule at the time they were installed.

Commercial and multi-family homes (apartments, hotels, etc.) are very likely to have differing rules from town to town, as there are almost always local ammendments.
These local ammendments are likely to address whether an alarm notifies anyone/ anything outside the specific unit. Over a certain size building, and "remote monitoring" (an alarm service) may be required.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by physis:
Edit: Hi Todd, I see you have a new signature.
Hi Sam. Yeah, figured it was time to change it up a bit. :D

The smokes that I have are just leftover from when battery back-up wasn't required here.

Status
Not open for further replies.