Battery Storage Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs123

Hi All,

We have a battery storage room that has been classified Class 1 Division 2.
First of all we have argued that the classification is wrong due to the room size, duty/standby forced ventilation and interlocking between the fan and the charging unit and the designer still insists on the area being classified.

The lighting, power circuits and fan installation is easy given we can run TC cable on tray for Division 2, although the batteries themselves are not.

Given the classification, do we have to insulate all the battery terminal conductors? Do the battery leads have to be run in a certain way (sealed)? Are there rules for the battery installation (we have confirmed the correct clearances)?

The NEC is vague.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think it would be very difficult to wire a battery rack with the wiring methods that are permitted in 501.10(B).

big john

I routinely deal with very large battery systems and have never seen one wired to be hazloc compliant.

Very common to see systems with totally exposed terminals and bussing. However, many manufacturers are offering dead-front assembly methods, and if not the installers often add custom guarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.