BDA bonding?

JJWalecka

Good morning. I have to run a number 6 insulated ground thhn from the BDA to main building ground...
Does the conductor need to be in a raceway? Can I run it free air supporting it with 3/8 mc straps and tie wrapping it to EMT pipes? Or does it require a raceway?

Appreciate your time

JJWalecka

Good morning. I have to run a number 6 insulated ground thhn from the BDA to main building ground...
Does the conductor need to be in a raceway? Can I run it free air supporting it with 3/8 mc straps and tie wrapping it to EMT pipes? Or does it require a raceway?

Appreciate your time
Also...there is a pre-existing carflex straight connector to bring the feed into the BDA...is carflex acceptable or should I change over to something metal...like Greenfield

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What is a BDA?

It seems like what is being asked for is some kind of "ground" wire above and beyond what the code normally requires.

I don't think you can tie wrap it to existing EMT, although it is not a safety hazard. Just not code probably.

I don't think it needs to be in conduit because it is probably a GEC or GEC bonding conductor, but off hand I can't think of a cheap way to run it that meets code.

JJWalecka

What is a BDA?

It seems like what is being asked for is some kind of "ground" wire above and beyond what the code normally requires.

I don't think you can tie wrap it to existing EMT, although it is not a safety hazard. Just not code probably.

I don't think it needs to be in conduit because it is probably a GEC or GEC bonding conductor, but off hand I can't think of a cheap way to run it that meets code.
Bi-Directional Amplifier (BDA) System, for fire alarm

Attachments

• download (7).jpeg
    download (7).jpeg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
What happened? What is current wiring method used?
NM-b? it would already have an EGC, just proper bonding would need to happen no additional wire should be needed.
MC? Most likely has an EGC as part of the cable assembly.
EMT or Rigid? if all parts are correctly installed the conduit can be your EGC, no need for additional EGC.
PVC or Non-metallic conduit? Would need an EGC and should be present within the conduit, if not it can be pulled within the existing conduit.
EGC only needs to be as large as the circuit wiring ungrounded conductor supplying the equipment.

JJWalecka

What happened? What is current wiring method used?
NM-b? it would already have an EGC, just proper bonding would need to happen no additional wire should be needed.
MC? Most likely has an EGC as part of the cable assembly.
EMT or Rigid? if all parts are correctly installed the conduit can be your EGC, no need for additional EGC.
PVC or Non-metallic conduit? Would need an EGC and should be present within the conduit, if not it can be pulled within the existing conduit.
EGC only needs to be as large as the circuit wiring ungrounded conductor supplying the equipment.
Wiring method used is pipe over to a switch then feeding the BDA.
Do you have any thoughts upon the #6 insulated green?