Beam or Concrete Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Looking for feedback.

So did a quick comparison for a 6” wide trapeze rack(1-5/8’ strut with 3/8” threaded rod with threaded rod. One attached to steel beam and the other to concrete slab/deck. Material is about the same( slightly higher for the beam clamp/steel install) but the labor is as follows:

.6 for the rack attached to steel
.75 for the rack attached to the deck( inserts).

So basically what I though and knew that the rack getting shot into the deck is a little more labor intensive. Agree?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What do you mean by inserts? Are those concrete anchors that require drilling a hole?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes..deck/slab existing. No other way to get anchor in, right? Can you set anchors in slab with powder actuated gun?

We only hang racks off of holes that are drilled into the concrete with a rod hanger anchor. You could use power actuated tools to shot in studs.

61j5cOY7v%2BL._SL1401_.jpg

mstrlucky74

We only hang racks off of holes that are drilled into the concrete with a rod hanger anchor. You could use power actuated tools to shot in studs.

61j5cOY7v%2BL._SL1401_.jpg

So that looks like a wedge anchor in which you need to drill hole. Not following you on powder actuator and shooting studs? You mean nailing metal studs to floor..lol?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So that looks like a wedge anchor in which you need to drill hole. Not following you on powder actuator and shooting studs? You mean nailing metal studs to floor..lol?

You're talking about building conduit racks from the deck above so you need something to connect the threaded rod to. You can shoot a threaded stud into the concrete above to hang the rods with a rid coupling or you can drill and install an anchor like the one in post #6. I was commenting that we never shoot a stud into the deck to hang conduit racks.

mstrlucky74

You're talking about building conduit racks from the deck above so you need something to connect the threaded rod to. You can shoot a threaded stud into the concrete above to hang the rods with a rid coupling or you can drill and install an anchor like the one in post #6. I was commenting that we never shoot a stud into the deck to hang conduit racks.

Got it, so you drill...not shoot into deck. Curious...any reason you don't shoot into deck?

nickelec

Hilti makes these things , there pretty nice drill 1/4 hole and then use an impact gun to set in place.IMO quicker then a wedge anchor especially if your doing a few hundred or thousand
225b0bbc20738bb3587b4084cb337438.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would never trust a powder actuated stud fired into precast to support something like that.

-Hal

My reasoning as well unless it was a very small conduit. With an anchor you can tell if it's tight after installation, with a stud you're only guessing.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I would never trust a powder actuated stud fired into precast to support something like that.

-Hal

And depending on the project, they may be prohibited by the spec. We have a current project where they didn't want to let us drill into the bottom of the beams in a waffle slab.

Status
Not open for further replies.