Becoming an Electrical Instructor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Was wondering how does one become an electrical inspector? How do you get qualified to teach? Is it just years of experience or is there some type of college or scholastic qualification?

bphgravity

Inspector or Instructor?

Here in Florida, you have several options when it comes to instructing. First, you can find a state approved apprenticeship program and simply meet their qualifications to teach. I work for the Electrical Council of Florida which requires Vocational Instructor Certification which I obtained through Sarasota County School Board.

There are also several private course providers that routinely hire instructors. Most these require fairly significant experience with a teaching background.

A third option is to hold you own courses. This requires a lot more work, but can be very rewarding. Here in Florida, an approved course provider and courses can become certified to provide continuing education credits to contractors and license holders.

I would start by writing articles for local or other trade newsletters, and giving presentations at IAEI meetings or other trade meetings. This will give you some experience and get your name out there.

Thanks Bryan,

I did mean Instructor. Am pretty sure the best way to become an inspector would be to pass the IAEI exam no?

Anyway, I need to learn alot more and get more experience before I felt comfortable about teaching. I'm simply not there yet. I was just wondering if I would I did decide to work towards that goal what would I need to do now to help get me there in say 10 years.

Your advice is a great help. Thanks.

Bryan wrote
"I would start by writing articles for local or other trade newsletters, and giving presentations at IAEI meetings or other trade meetings. This will give you some experience and get your name out there."

This is exactly how I got started. It took about 3 years of sometimes frustrating results.

The other best advice is to learn to say when you have made a mistake, or that you do not know the answer.

How much time have you in the industry?
Have you kept up on your own education? seminars and classes. CEUs

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Galway, do you work for someone, or are you self-employed?

I work for a medium-sized company, and teach the apprentice class (when we still had apprentices :? ). It's given me a little bit of good experience speaking in front of people, and teaching.

Thanks guys for your replies.

George currently I work for somebody but I've had health issues that may make it worth it to me to change the direction inwhich I'm currently going. I'd love to be able to make a living (regardless of the money or at least not totally dictated by money) teaching and immersing myself in code issues classes, etc...

Pierre I have 12 years total work experience. 5 1/2 years apprentice and the rest as a journeyman. I have kept up with education in the required 34 hours for my State Licence. I also read an aweful lot but there is so much to learn I often feel overwhelmed. I read code books, videos, and sites like Mike Holt.

I am a member of the union and considering calling them to see if the apprentiship needs teachers.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Its more than instructing, you need experience as well.
I work as hard as an instructor as I do as an electrician.
First, you must be knowdedgeable on the NEC, read everything you can, join associations such as the IAEI.
Look for classes on instructing from Fred Pryor,or a train the trainer seminar.
I have a BS Degree in Workforce Education, so with my Master Electrician its a nice fit.
Mike Holt has an instructors conference in Florida this summer. This may be the best investment you can make to attend it. Its two days and well worth it.

dlhoule

Tom said:
First, you must be knowdedgeable on the NEC, read everything you can,

I,m envious Tom. Everytime I get to the point where I feel knoledgeable on the NEC, something comes up where I have to go to an unfamiliar area and feel dumb again.

Status
Not open for further replies.