Becoming an Electrician??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to become an electrician since '99. I have tried the local union, and non-union training apprenticeships and NOTHING. I know that times are hard now and that is why they are limiting their class sizes, but this is getting ridicules. I have experience working for two electrical contractors during a different locals "Summer Help Program". That local allows out-of-local people to participate in that program, but you are not allowed to try and get into the apprenticeship unless you live in the local. I would like to get into a program that offers the hands on training and the class work. Am I missing something? Does anybody know an loop-holes in jurisdiction requirement? The two areas in question are Toledo up to Ann Arbor (Union Locals 8 & 252). Is there any other training programs available?

bphgravity

Re: Becoming an Electrician??

There are literally dozens of training programs that are available to one looking to get electrical training. Many of these programs are correspondance courses that allow at home study and advance at your own rate formats.

One example would be Thomson Education Direct at: www.Electriciantraining.com

Tom Henry also has a "learn to be an electrician course at: http://www.code-electrical.com/trainingintro.html

This doesn't guarantee a spot at the local union, but it could give the advantage over another applicant with no education at all. Good Luck! :)

brian john

Not sure of your location but here in VA/WASH DC/ MD there is work for anyone willing to learn. Hqve you thought about reloacting?

ryan_618

Greetings Wolfie.
Most electrical shops in my area don't consider education/training a prerequisite for employment. If you've not been an electrician before, even if you're an electrical engineer with 8 years of school under your belt, you're probably still going to start as a laborer or installing plugs and switches. If it were me I would try to get hired on first and see if you like it before committing all the time, money and effort into schooling. Just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.