Becoming lead certified for electrician's

Status
Not open for further replies.

KP2

I just finished teaching a CEU class and a few of the guy's asked me about being certified to work on jobs with lead paint. I have not been asked this before and after a little research on see in CT they have a new licence for Lead Abaitment Contractors.

Does this apply to electrician's is what the class wanted to know.

Has anybody else come across this topic?

yucan2

I just finished teaching a CEU class and a few of the guy's asked me about being certified to work on jobs with lead paint. I have not been asked this before and after a little research on see in CT they have a new licence for Lead Abaitment Contractors.

They seem to be discussing it here: http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/new-epa-rrp-rule-takes-effect-april-22-2010-all-trades-will-affected-12253/

kwired

Electron manager

Lead abatement is the process of removing and disposing products that contain lead. It is similar to asbestos abatement.

What you are most likely interested in is working with processess that disturb the lead and how to properly do this.

As yucan2 mentioned there are threads in this forum and others on the topic.

I'm an electrical contractor, one of the GC's I work with mentioned I may need to get lead certification to work in homes older than 1978. I called a CE center and they told me I would only need it if I would be distrubing 6sq' or more inside or 10sq' or more on the exterior. I still need to talk to someone at the DPBR to find out for sure, Id like to save the 300 bucks if I can.

KP2

I don't know how to post links to other threads but, thier is one with more info and I found some things on line.

Children 5 & under.
Day care, the sqft drops to 2 sqft
outside is 20 sqft.
If lead paint was not in the disclosures of the propery and the customer doesn't do testing then no wories.

These are other peoples thoughts and interpritations.

Ok Ive done some more research, what I can tell is, If I am doing anything more than repair or maintaince, adding outlets lights etc which will require cutting i.e demolition, than I will need to be certified and follow procedures. So that $150.00 receptacle in a pre 78 home will be $300.

Dom99

Here's a section of the rule:

What is not covered by the rule?

The rule does not apply to:

* Minor repair and maintenance activities that disrupt six square feet or less of painted surface per room for interior projects, and twenty square feet or less of painted surface for exterior projects; and
* Renovations where it is determined the renovation will not involve lead-based paint. The determination that the components affected by the renovation are free of lead-based paint can be made by a certified inspector or risk assessor, or by a certified renovator, using an EPA recognized test kit.
* Owner-occupied housing where the owner is performing his/her own renovation work.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The Coolest Part...

The Coolest Part...

The part of the law that requires testing either dictates taking samples and sending them to an accredited laboratory for testing, or using a device that you can point at the wall and measure the lead content.

The warning on the device is to keep kids, pets, etc. out of the room. Why? Because the device is a hand held fluoroscope (read X-Ray machine) and like the ones the doc uses to see your innards, poses a radiological hazard.

So...if we don't want to wait weeks to start a job, all we have to do is intentionally expose ourselves to X-rays so we don't inadvertently expose ourselves to lead.

alltruetech

If you have a website, just click the "insert link" (the image with a globe and chain) then paste your site.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you have a website, just click the "insert link" (the image with a globe and chain) then paste your site.
And if you have a website, and you post a link to it, you will probably get banned from using this forum. We do not allow any form of advertising.

Status
Not open for further replies.