Before service disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanwalker

NEC 2002 Article 230.82(2) Could you use this article for 120/240?
Was wondering if a disconnect(fire or maintenance or some other name)rated less than 480 could be put before the meter. THANKS AGAIN GEO

[ August 17, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: vanwalker ]

physis

Re: Before service disc

Do you mean can you put the meter before the disconnect on a single phase 240 v. service?

Yes.

It even says "nominally rated not in excess of 600 volts".

I wonder why I can't use higher rated equipment. Shouldn't it be the voltage that is limited?

physis

Was wondering if a disconnect(fire or maintenance or some other name)rated less than 480 could be put before the meter. THANKS AGAIN GEO
I don't think the NEC really cares where the meter is. The utility probably does.

230.82 lists items that can be before the service disconnect.

I would expect the utility to want their meter before everything that can use electricty.

allenwayne

Sam I agree otherwise it would be theft of service to go prior of the meter.Kind of like filling 5 5 gal gas cans then $20,00 in my truck and that`s all in going to pay for ;)

charlie

I would expect the utility to want their meter before everything that can use electricity.
It depends on the serving electric utility's rules. We require cold sequence installations in our downtown area but hot sequence metering in other areas with a very few exceptions. :D

charlie

Yes. If it is fused, it is the service equipment. If it is not fused, we will seal it and it is a meter disconnect switch. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.