Belled EMT with built in fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

conmgt

Hello,

I came across a version of EMT that is new to me. It's belled like PVC and has a built in compression fitting.
Were these popular at one point ? Has a code change made them obsolete ? Who made them ?

Attachments

• EMT 1 medium.jpg
    EMT 1 medium.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • EMT 2 medium.jpg
    EMT 2 medium.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never seen them either.. They look like they have been around for awhile. I don't see why they wouldn't be compliant

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We used them for one large riser job 25 years ago and that was the last time we used them. For straight only EMT runs they might be faster and cheaper but once you involve bending elbows and offsets they are a pain to work with. We had a big pile of them on the floor from guys cutting them off. If you must use them use the set-screw version.

480sparky

I've never seen belled compression ends, but I've seen set-screw bells.

I'm with Dennis... they're probably not cost-effective in that the labor savings aren't enough to cover the higher price.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
We used them on a project (actually one material order) once but as the others have stated, it did not work out, we still bought the same amount of couplings the estimate showed.

Roger

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have some 2 1/2” emt with the bell ends, set screw, laying around somewhere, came back from an unknown job. Probably be ok parallel long straight runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.