Best MSP for 80A PV?

Zee

What 200A meter/main combo panel would you spec for an 80A PV system, that also has easy access to place CT coils on the line conductors?
(80A PV = 2 @ 7.7 kW inverters)

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You are not going to be able to install a 80 amp PV breaker into a CSED that has a 200 amp main breaker even if it has a 225 amp buss. You would need to replace the 200 amp main with a 175 amp breaker.

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
I'll bite. I would spec a Milbank U5854-PXL-200 meter-main without any bussing for branch breakers. That would feed a Square D HOM4080M200PC main panel in the garage, and I would tap the 4/0 AL feeders to a breaker enclosure next to the meter-main, and that would feed a 100A 6-space AC combiner panel next to the inverter in the garage with two 40A breakers for the inverters. If your utility requires a visible break disconnect, you will need to use a fused knife switch instead of a breaker enclosure. And of course most regions don't use ring-type metering equipment like we do here, so you will need to figure out the equivalent ringless model. I can't wait until PCS becomes widely available making line-side and feeder taps a thing of the past.