Best practices for building a grounding/bonding continuity testing kit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the first step in building a comprehensive AC safety inspection kit, I'm looking to build a long wind-up multimeter cable, that I can clamp onto the ground rod, EGC, IBT, or other appropriate location, and then measure the resistance from the ground slot on outlets, metal raceways, metal cases of equipment, etc.--instead of using a much heavier long extension cord.

I'm starting with:
  • Fluke 179 and it's standard cables
  • An extension cord reel that's way to big. Any suggestions for a specific type or brand?
  • 14 AWG stranded green wire (what gauge, number of strands, and insulation is best for this?)
  • Cal-Test right-angle soldered shrouded banana plug (is the screw-terminal model better for this use?)
  • TE (AMP) PIDG 14-16 AWG #8 ring terminal
  • TE PIDG Ring Tongue Terminal Size 8 16-14 AWG
  • Mueller Electric BU-25C Automotive Clip with BU-26 PVC insulator (rated for 75 amps)

What other things should I consider to provide this cable with the lowest-possible resistance? Would using any sort of conductive or anti-ox paste between the ring terminal and the BU-25C clip be worthwhile? What about the correct amount of torque for that screw?

Would there be any improve

Here's my kit's current state:
Ground Test Kit 001.jpg

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
As the first step in building a comprehensive AC safety inspection kit, I'm looking to build a long wind-up multimeter cable, that I can clamp onto the ground rod, EGC, IBT, or other appropriate location, and then measure the resistance from the ground slot on outlets, metal raceways, metal cases of equipment, etc.--instead of using a much heavier long extension cord.

Why??? :?

I've seen something like that done for a basic test of pool bonding. Is this for a health or critical care setting? No? A simple plug-in receptacle tester should tell you whether the ground is functional, but beyond that it sounds like you have lots of time on your hands.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.