Best way to wire sump pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
hi all. i have my own ideas but looking for some additional advice. i am about to dig a rectangular hole in my yard for a spa that will be inset 18" below grade. the hole gets a concrete shell. i have a good 3/4hp 120v Wayne sump pump that will be integrated into the floor of the concrete shell. the pump came wired with a plug. should i provide an outlet high up or should i hard wire into a sealed junction box? a sealed box means i would need to cut the plug end off and then seal the hole the cord passes through using silicone or use some type of connector on the box that seals the cord (i see this as safer than just a plug and outlet). the reason the hole is a rectangle is because i am providing a removable floor at grade for the maintenance of the spa (allowing access to the removable spa panel), its in this extra space where the pump will reside. all power if GFI'd, etc.

i also plan to drive 8ft gnd spike in same area where pump will be. spa gnd will be tied to spike, i also plan to mesh the surface around the spa and tie that mesh to this gnd spike. is it ok to use non-insulated copper from mesh to gnd spike where copper passes through shell wall w/o insulation or conduit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.