Better safe than sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash

might be a dumb question but...(see title) I’m getting ready to install some good size LED floods. Fixture says 120/277 my voltage is 240V at the poles. Quick call to my guy at the supply house after a little on hold he says it’s fine the voltage can be either or anything in between. The instructions clearly say white is neutral I have my doubts this light will work at 240V and ... read the title again. This is actually the first time I’ve come across this problem. Just want to be sure a call into the manufacturer let’s just say I know you guys are way faster there phone is still ringing.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with ptonsparky. Once you connect wires to the fixture and have a voltage in the given range between the wires, the fixture will not be able to discern the color of the wire insulation, nor will it care whether one of the wires originated at the power source's neutral point.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
might be a dumb question but...

And by the way this is not a dumb question. I’m in agreement with the other answers here, but it could make a difference for other equipment. A hypothetical industrial control panel that could accept a grounded 120 or 277 input power feed would not be a good idea to supply with 240 where it’s 240 with two ungrounded conductors (like we have in our homes). A panel expecting 277 may only have one conductor fused or otherwise protected internal to the panel and applying 240 would mean you have an unprotected ungrounded conductor (potentially) in the panel. I don’t mean to muddy the waters at all with this and there are other things that would invalidate this hypothetical situation. Just pointing out that it was a good question.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
And by the way this is not a dumb question. I’m in agreement with the other answers here, but it could make a difference for other equipment. A hypothetical industrial control panel that could accept a grounded 120 or 277 input power feed would not be a good idea to supply with 240 where it’s 240 with two ungrounded conductors (like we have in our homes). A panel expecting 277 may only have one conductor fused or otherwise protected internal to the panel and applying 240 would mean you have an unprotected ungrounded conductor (potentially) in the panel. I don’t mean to muddy the waters at all with this and there are other things that would invalidate this hypothetical situation. Just pointing out that it was a good question.

I agree. I have come across this very issue in the past. I find it curious that fixtures like this and most flour. ballast are marked 120/277 as opposed to 120-277. Perhaps this should be clarified in the code or at the NRTL level. Maybe the label should say something to the effect of "grounded conductor not required".

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I agree here.
I have to explain sometimes the white wire is the “common” rather than neutral to our guys with the new LED lights..

Smash

As always the quick response is appreaciated. I figured as much but thought it couldn’t hurt to get some feedback as the install isn’t until Monday. Real quick when retro fitting a corn cob bulb where 120V is delivered to the screwshell like your standard incandescent lamp. If your voltage is 240V is that going to be a problem ? Having a hot on the terminal and the shell ? New corn cob bulb again says 120/277 thx

Status
Not open for further replies.