Bid drawings - completeness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Designer69

I have to send out bid drawings, what is the typical completeness level expected for these.

I have all devices shown and any infrastructure (feeder/wiring) revisions shown.

I have not shown branch level circuiting yet.

Is this acceptable for this type of submittal?

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
no matter what level of detail you create someone will complain it is not enough.

others will complain it is too much and try to "value engineer" away the stuff they don't want to do to cheapen the project.

if these are going out for bid you need to give the bidders enough information to be able to come up with a price for what it is you expect them to provide. my opinion is that drawings are not always the best way to give bidders that information.

MrJLH

No matter how hard you try to get a bid, when you issue for construction expect to be changed ordered by the contractor.

Its just part of the game.

At least get a good cable schedule, indicating circuit types, run lengths, and conduit sizes.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have to send out bid drawings, what is the typical completeness level expected for these.

I have all devices shown and any infrastructure (feeder/wiring) revisions shown.

I have not shown branch level circuiting yet.

Is this acceptable for this type of submittal?

Thanks

Bid drawings should be 100% complete. Who decides what is 100%?

As a minimum, you would need to comply with your state statutes in terms of completeness if they are going to be signed/seals and submitted to a permitting department. Look at the design contract and see if there are requirements there, sometimes they go into gross detail, other times they don't. It really depends on the owner and local AHJ. For example, we know to include certain features that different cities look for when they review for a permit so that we don't have to deal with the inevitable comments. A wastewater plant would have its own requirements for what must be provided on construction plans and how it must be shown. A nuclear power plant, on the other hand, is going to have completely different requirements and level of detail expected.

As far as quantities and lengths go, we don't include this information and contractors have no issues bidding our plans. We don't get too many RFI's or change orders either. We show the locations of all equipment on scaled drawings and a riser that shows conduit size and content. A competent outfit can figure it out from there. This is usually good enough for government work, as they say. :D We typically only show conduit routing for special circumstances or smaller jobs.

Re: branch circuits, you might be able to get away without showing branch circuiting exactly. We don't tell the contractor how to interconnect the lights/receptacles of a given branch. We only call out the circuit number and panel name and show a home where it's desired. They can decide which ones to connect together. It's in their interest to be competitive so they will optimize it. Unless it's required, its a waste of your time to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.