Bidding a modular home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys.

Have any of you guys had to bid a modular home blind that has not come in yet?

I have received plans on a 2 story 3/2 1900sqft modular home. The homeowner tells me It was wired at the factory already and that all i had to do was the 200 ampservice. Well i went to the factory myself and the electricians were telling me all these things i had to finish on the inside. Like running all these circuits from the attic to the basement and all kinds of other things that were left undone and that when the light fixtures shipped in late i had to hang them all as well of course to complete inspection.

Of course the company salesperson told the h/o that it was not much needed to be done after they receive this home but i found that too hard to believe. The salesperson also told the h/o that the electric cost would be low like 6 to 800dollars.

I gave them a low price of 3000 to do everything including testing and any repairs needed since the factory wired it. No telling who they let run circuits in there????? and they blew there top saying it's already done all i have to do is the service 3000 is way too high i need the electrical permit to start any phase of construction. Can someone please tell me if i am out of line with this estimate? I thought it was pretty low.

What are some of you guys experience with these unforseen modular homes? Have you done them before? It seems to me like i would be cleaning up some factory guys mess and fixing things that don't work.

480sparky

Typically, there's the service and a little bit of wiring inside.

The ones I have done, the panel is all landed with breakers and all. You only need to feed it. I've usually had the panel mounted on a peice of plywood and attached to the bottom of the home. Just unscrew it, drop it down and fasten to the wall. Then build your service like normal.

You may also need to feed anything other than 15- and 20-amp 120v circuits. The stove, AC, and such may be wired, but the NM needs to be run to the panel since the appliance is in the half of the home that doesn't have the panel. So you need to run their NM back to the panel.

Anything other than that (testing, fixing, etc.), I bill T&M.

ultramegabob

All I have done with modulars is setting the service on a pedestal next to the building and run conduit through crawlspace up into panel. I have seen some of the wiring methods used inside modulars, I wont touch them.... snap together connectors that are buried under the siding without junction boxes, two piece recepts that are part cut in box/part recepticle that has stabbs that pierce the romex jacket for the termination, etc. etc. etc.... the top side of the main breaker is as far as I will go into a manufactured home or trailer....

electricalperson

Brad Baxter said:
Hey guys.

I have received plans on a 2 story 3/2 1900sqft modular home. The homeowner tells me It was wired at the factory already and that all i had to do was the 200 ampservice. Well i went to the factory myself and the electricians were telling me all these things i had to finish on the inside. Like running all these circuits from the attic to the basement and all kinds of other things that were left undone and that when the light fixtures shipped in late i had to hang them all as well of course to complete inspection.

Of course the company salesperson told the h/o that it was not much needed to be done after they receive this home but i found that too hard to believe. The salesperson also told the h/o that the electric cost would be low like 6 to 800dollars.

I gave them a low price of 3000 to do everything including testing and any repairs needed since the factory wired it. No telling who they let run circuits in there????? and they blew there top saying it's already done all i have to do is the service 3000 is way too high i need the electrical permit to start any phase of construction. Can someone please tell me if i am out of line with this estimate? I thought it was pretty low.

What are some of you guys experience with these unforseen modular homes? Have you done them before? It seems to me like i would be cleaning up some factory guys mess and fixing things that don't work.

the modular homes ive done usually require a little bit of electrical work inside. sometimes the panel is already wired up and just tied to the joists but sometimes you need to install the panel and put the circuits in it and all that stuff. also you need to connect the amp connectors that are in the sections of the house they bolted together. also you need to test everything to make sure it all works. every modular house usually has some kind of problem in it. anything from miswired circuits to just receptacles being wired backwards. ive also seen cables that needed to be replaced because tehy were dragging down the highway

Rewire

Brad Baxter said:
Hey guys.

I would bid the service only and make it clear to the HO that is what you are bidding.

ultramegabob

Brad Baxter said:
they blew there top saying it's already done all i have to do is the service

the just quote the service, and note on your quote any additonal work will be done T/M upon approved change order....

ceb58

The ones I have done for people I know I priced them out as setting service hook up to inside panel, run circ. for HVAC system (installed after set up) and light by unit, and some times run circ. for well pump. Best to go with meter comb on out side, easier to get extra circ. from than the inside panel. The most of the mod. home places around here have some poor suckers doing this work for 700-800 dollars the mod. home people TELL you what they pay not ask what do you charge.

quogueelectric

2000 sq ft 2 story will probably come in 4 sections.. The service will be wired to the section it is attatched to in the basement this will prob be a 200.
The panel is supplied and a good amount of circuits are already landedas should most breakers including arcfaults. You will have to roll out the hrs dropped in the basement run then all home and staple down.
This will probably be on engineered joists I find it easier to run a few 2x4s to staple down to in a convenient for me location. You will need basic lighting coverage in the basement and wire for 3ways from 1st floor to basement. Probably add a smoke and gfci in basement. Wire the oil burner separate 15 amp then controls and thermostat.

sometimes finding the doorbell is tons of fun . I would probably want 4k for this job. They are nice jobs to do get in and get out dont forget you will need a generator till the service is energized by poco fo lights and tools.

Dont get caught backfeeding lights from the gen by osha I did once the fine was 1500 reduced to 750 someone I worked with ate cheese and had long whiskers.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

quogueelectric said:
2000 sq ft 2 story will probably come in 4 sections.. The service will be wired to the section it is attatched to in the basement this will prob be a 200.
The panel is supplied and a good amount of circuits are already landedas should most breakers including arcfaults. You will have to roll out the hrs dropped in the basement run then all home and staple down.
This will probably be on engineered joists I find it easier to run a few 2x4s to staple down to in a convenient for me location. You will need basic lighting coverage in the basement and wire for 3ways from 1st floor to basement. Probably add a smoke and gfci in basement. Wire the oil burner separate 15 amp then controls and thermostat.

sometimes finding the doorbell is tons of fun . I would probably want 4k for this job. They are nice jobs to do get in and get out dont forget you will need a generator till the service is energized by poco fo lights and tools.

Dont get caught backfeeding lights from the gen by osha I did once the fine was 1500 reduced to 750 someone I worked with ate cheese and had long whiskers.
Dont forget someone has to terminate the phone/telephone/data/catv so you need to figure a few sheckles in for terminating all the hrs that need to be run across the basement and terminated. Oh yeah I thought this thing was aready wired complete?? Except for the hundred items I have listed.

360Youth

I have done several modulars, having bought one, and picked up some work from the seller on other homes. Work ranged from service only to finishing upstairs and/or underneath when the home was raised on stilts. If you are doing just the service, a set price can be done with little trouble. If you are doing any other, I would T&M the work or bid high. They are invariably more trouble than they appear because you are dealing with 40-80% completed work, depending on the home and there is usually more to deal with than just drilling holes and pulling wire. ie; if the house is raised and on stilts, you will have to deal with the factory sealing and insulation already present as oppsed to after you are through. It's good work, but it comes with a learning curve.

:mad: Just reading you guys experience with these modulars i feel like i underbid already and am running into a mess for the price. Not to mention i have to install all the fixtures as well when they ship them in:roll:

JohnJ0906

I've done maybe 2 dozen over the years - you WILL be troubleshooting the factory work. I have absolutely no doubt.

"Already checked at the factory"..... yeah right!

roger3829

JohnJ0906 said:
I've done maybe 2 dozen over the years - you WILL be troubleshooting the factory work. I have absolutely no doubt.

"Already checked at the factory"..... yeah right!

I have only done a couple, but have run into the same problems with all of them.

Just finding ALL the connectors that have to be plugged in can be an experience. There will be connectors in the basement and in the attic. The larger circuits will need to be run back as they do not just snap together. Light fixtures both inside and outside will have to be installed, maybe ceiling fans as well.

Low voltage wiring will also be a mess.

Trouble shooting factory miswires and poor connections will also take some time.

$4k sounds pretty good to me. Good luck

cschmid

lol man you guys are getting the junk..these are T&M jobs not bid packages..you can only bid the service and only if you know the panel is wired and hanging on piece of plywood..then you have to remove the plywood to drill the holes for the service..I prefer they come with the wires marked and I hang the panel..and yes the light fixtures if they are nice need to be hung..the cheapy globes are already done..here if modular is in 2 pieces each side has it s own wiring..if it is four pieces there are splice panels that need to be done..we have pretty strict codes on modulars here..with our energy codes and all..most go on basements..

ashtrak

ADDitional work ...........mods

ADDitional work ...........mods

Dont forget...

Well feed and hookup.
Furnace feed and hookup
Back-up heat, one or two circuits with disconnects
Sewer pump feed and hookup w/alarm wiring
Wiring hanging for ouside post light
AC condenseing unit feed and outside disconnect
Troubleshooting

billsnuff

i'm not sure about your area, but in mine, some people don't understand the difference between modular and manufactured. (steel frame and tags) I was the GC for my own modular which i chose over manuf. The company that built my home completed mast, gnd rds, and light and GFCIs for basement.
Also, did AC, furnace, and would have done water heater but I told them i was puting in power vent gas. I was very satisified. if they missed something, i did too.

billsnuff

no, that would be mmmeeeee (sabula, population 888, SALUTE!!!) :grin: :grin: :grin:

seriously, they sent a well trained staff (my opinion) 1 elec and 2 carpenters. but the crane op. was local. AHJ here and POCO are the same, city owns the utilities...........and him and i went to school together.

IrishRugger

Ive done enough manufactured homes (modulars) in my time to let you know that there is allways more than meets the eye on these. Find out if you have to wire a heating /ccoling system, waterheater, dishwasher, microwave,basement/crawlspace lights, are they attatching a garage or some type of addition to the modular? Do you have to move any wiring to accomidate for basement stairs. Do you have to provide light bulbs, and for $3000.00 have you figured for the AFCI requirements. Do you have to trench? provide any service laterals for underground? and don't forget your panel receptacle. I would bank on it very hard that there are factory wiring problems to address. Do not be afraid to adjust your price accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.