Bidding conduit runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bam

I'm bidding a patient care facility, one floor, drop ceilings, 120 volt 3 phase. Here's the question the drawings show an arc line from recpt to recpt thru out the floor plan, the legend calls the arc line symbol as conduit, is mc cable considered conduit? To me flexible conduit is conduit. Didnt get any separate set of specs, just what's on the drawings. Maybe I'll just state in the bid that most of the branch circuit will be in FMC.
This is a step up from the custom homes and strip stores I'm comforble bidding on, would hate to start off in the hole. Thanks

iwire

Staff member
I'm bidding a patient care facility, one floor, drop ceilings, 120 volt 3 phase. Here's the question the drawings show an arc line from recpt to recpt thru out the floor plan, the legend calls the arc line symbol as conduit, is mc cable considered conduit? To me flexible conduit is conduit.

I would not assume that at all, I would look at the job notes and specs, if I could not find a clear answer there I would send an RFI (Request For Information) or if just ask the question if MC cable was acceptable.

I doubt they mean rigid conduit but I doubt they mean MC either. Keep in mind this place sounds like one that would have redundant grounding requirements so you would have to make sure you use an appropriate MC cable to meet those requirements

kwired

Electron manager
Usually the lines you are refering to are indicators of what is on the same circuit and not indicators of the wiring method used or where it it to be routed.

MC cable is not a raceway type wiring method. You may want to find out if MC cable is permitted by the designer or you could end up ripping it out at your expense.

ritelec

the arc line symbol as conduit, is mc cable considered conduit?

Is cable considered conduit?

They may want conduit install for future. Did they spec the size.

Give a second look at iso ground recpts. also. Code changed a bit.

kwired

Electron manager
Is cable considered conduit?

They may want conduit install for future. Did they spec the size.

Give a second look at iso ground recpts. also. Code changed a bit.

Did you by chance mean hospital grade receptacles? Code addresses isolated grounding methods but I am not aware of anyplace that it requires isolated grounding. Isolated grounding is a design issue, code just tells how to do it if going to be done.

mike7330

I'm bidding a patient care facility, one floor, drop ceilings, 120 volt 3 phase. Here's the question the drawings show an arc line from recpt to recpt thru out the floor plan, the legend calls the arc line symbol as conduit, is mc cable considered conduit? To me flexible conduit is conduit. Didnt get any separate set of specs, just what's on the drawings. Maybe I'll just state in the bid that most of the branch circuit will be in FMC.
This is a step up from the custom homes and strip stores I'm comforble bidding on, would hate to start off in the hole. Thanks

"This is a step up from the custom homes and strip stores I'm comforble bidding on, would hate to start off in the hole"
READ THE SPECS!!! wiring a patient care facility is not the same as custom homes and strip stores, I'm sure you can do the job. but make sure you bid with the correct wiring and /or piping.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are not familiar with Art. 517 you will want to read through it - you may have a lot more questions. There is a lot in there that can change what you have in mind if you were not aware of what is in there. Depending on exactly what kind of care is administered can have a big impact on what is required also. Outpatient clinics are generally less involved in 517 but not exempted. Critical care and surgical procedures can be very involved in 517.

ritelec

Did you by chance mean hospital grade receptacles? Code addresses isolated grounding methods but I am not aware of anyplace that it requires isolated grounding. Isolated grounding is a design issue, code just tells how to do it if going to be done.

517.16............Not to use them. Guess unless designed.

ritelec

Take back "guess unless designed", I see no exemptions.

??? I see nothing mentioning recpts have to be hospital grade.???

Is it in there or is that an architect thing? Will look again.

kwired

Electron manager
Take back "guess unless designed", I see no exemptions.

??? I see nothing mentioning recpts have to be hospital grade.???

Is it in there or is that an architect thing? Will look again.

Look at 517.18(B),517.19(B)(2), 517.61(C)(2).

OP did not say what he had other than patient care facility, he may not need them depending on exactly what type of care is provided.

Not sure where you were going with isolated ground - for most part not acceptable in patient care areas.

cadpoint

Check your State requirements, the exact type and limit of a partical type of constuction methods might well add not detact from your thoughts!

USMC1302

The gents that have answered know best, but I'd question why you don't have the spec book(s) Div 16, anyway. Find out for sure. No reason to bid the wrong material. That would automatically exclude you in my book.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
"This is a step up from the custom homes and strip stores I'm comforble bidding on, would hate to start off in the hole"
READ THE SPECS!!! wiring a patient care facility is not the same as custom homes and strip stores, I'm sure you can do the job. but make sure you bid with the correct wiring and /or piping.

and depending on exactly what type of facility and where it's located, you might find yourself
with your first lesson in OSHPD.... for what it's worth, you really need to know if your job is
under jurisdiction of OSHPD... it will drastically affect your profit on the job if you make
assumptions where they are doing the inspection.

http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/

my last job with an oshpd resident inspector was sorta like darth vader with a book of specs,
but not as much fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.