Bidding using Sq Ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcooper

Is there a generick number (% multiplyer) that you can use to bid a job by the squ feet? I got these 10 units, no recessed lights, but they are all diferent. I'd like a couple different methods of bidding this one

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never bid by the sq.ft. I guess it is done when you have code minimum jobs. Mine are so custom that everyone is different. My usually come to about $8-10/ sq.ft. This usually only includes basic bath fans and recessed cans. BTW I don't think you would get a job at that price but it depends on where you live and what the going rate is there.

dcooper

well my pricw just came out to be at $9 a sqft!!!!! They are custom condos, but once you take recessed out and only do center lights and a few stair scons it gets simple

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
well my pricw just came out to be at $9 a sqft!!!!! They are custom condos, but once you take recessed out and only do center lights and a few stair scons it gets simple

Ma should cost a lot more than NC- I would think but I bet many ec's here would do those homes for $5 or $6 sq/ft.

kwired

Electron manager
Problem is kitchen and baths usually cost more per square foot than bedrooms or living rooms. There is no cost per square foot that applies to the entire building. If there is it is high in some areas and low in others and balances out some for a new project. But a small remodeling project it could easily be too high or low depending on what kind of area is to be worked on.

bullheimer

never lost money starting out at $3sqft and then adding on for extra 240V and 120V ckts at roughly $250 12gu $150 120V and $350 for 10g. and $75 per each recessed light. also for various other extra stuff. sometimes it costs $5sq ft tops. i am surprised you guys are making so much. mine are all romex. the lo buck code min houses are going for $2.50!!!!!!

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
never lost money starting out at $3sqft and then adding on for extra 240V and 120V ckts at roughly $250 12gu $150 120V and $350 for 10g. and $75 per each recessed light. also for various other extra stuff. sometimes it costs $5sq ft tops. i am surprised you guys are making so much. mine are all romex. the lo buck code min houses are going for $2.50!!!!!!

I am mostly a commercial estimator, but the minor experience I have with residential allows me to off the following observations. First, I agree with Bullheimer that I was shocked about 8-10 a square foot. 4-6 would be more in my experience. That said, square footage estimates are so arbitrary unless every job has the same requirements, such as how many rooms get CATV and Cat5, whether there are can lights or not, a well, complex switching, heat pump, gas heat, gas vs. electric dryer, water heater, or range. overhead or underground service, reverse end feeder.

A far better "quick method" would be to develop unit prices per receptacle, switch, 3 way, 4 way, 200A, 400A, underground service, well etc. and do a 1 hour take off.
Yes, the law of averages says that you would kill on some and lose on others, but in this economy, you would only be getting the losers, because there will always be another bidder willing to do it for less.

kwired

Electron manager
We do a good bit of res. The average 3 bed , 2 bath home goes around $4-$5 sq. We dont supply any lights. Wire,devices, 200amp service, and labor.

At $5.00 that makes a 2000 ft home $10,000.00. I might as well go work for somebody else instead of taking this project. I have not done a home of that size in the past 6-8 years for less than $15-20k. Even before I had to start using AFCI's. (We went to no AFCI requirements to 2008 requirements practically overnight).

BAHTAH

Bidding using Sq Ft

If we were all in the same area we might come close to an agreement on a Sq Ft price, but since the cost of construction varies quite a bit across the country I don't see that happening. All the years I estimated I always kept a record of the Sq Ft price even when I was not bidding by the Sq Ft because it was a way to give a quick budget price for a builder that was based on what I considered a real estimate and a simular past project. If I were to guess I would say that on a residential job for wiring that was not custom but just meets code the price would be 10-15% of the sq Ft cost of the residence and that would not include the fixture package but would include the installation of fixtures other than heavy fixtures or fixtures above twelve feet. Any fancy fixtures or lighting control etc. would be on and above that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.