Big Fish or Little Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky456

I've been looking around, and seen numerous threads with opinions expressed about owning your own business versus working for someone, but I have a different question: Would you rather be a big fish in a small pond, or a little fish in a big pond? This question is aimed towards employees.

Would you be more inclined to work for a large company, perhaps go largely unnoticed and have little room for advancement, yet have unapproachable job security? Or would you prefer to work for a small (less than five employee) shop which aims to expand (and advance you with the expansion) while running the risk of the small business going under?

Suppose the wages were good either way. Would you take a chance on the little guy, perhaps have a say in how the new business develops and over time be a project manager or even vice president, or stay put in the large company where it's safe?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If the goal is to eventually be a controlling partner in the small shop, you should consider the history of partnerships. I vote stay put.

If the goal is to grow your own side business as a weekend warrior, weekday security is to your advantage. I vote stay put.

benaround

Even though I'm with a large shop, given the choise, I would go with a

smaller shop, that had the right stuff, and go with and grow with it.

ultramegabob

I know your question is aimed at employees, but Im gonna give you my two cents worth anyway:grin:

Are you a family man? if so, I think if you have a good paying secure job, and they treat you good, it would be foolish to make a move right now, times are hard for alot of small businesses right now. young single guys can take bigger risks than someone who has a wife and kids to feed. JMHO, good luck whatever you decide to do!

tkb

There is no job security with large shops.
I along with a few others on this board worked for one of the largest in the country.
They closed up without notice one day last fall.

There is no security with any company that you don't have any control over.

480sparky

tkb said:
There is no job security with large shops.....

I agree 110% with this. If a company has 200 employees, and things start to slow down, they're going to start letting the last-hired and poor-performing people first.

brian john

Small shop 25 years in business, I still have my first employee all those that left NEEDED to go, now have 15 men.

Above scale pay, above required benefits, paid time off if sick (legitimatly) had a guy sick paid him the whole time he was off (6 weeks), paid time off for family emergencies. You need a tool you buy it, I pay for it.

WHAT's NOT SECURE.

As a new small shop getting new hires was difficult, many men wanted to come to work for me, but their wives were nervous about going to a new shop and the security issue.

Last edited:

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Brian staying in business over 5 years is an exception to the rule. Your management is obviously well beyond exceptional/ly positioned.

If I recall, a larger employer abandoned an entire department, leaving your experience and relationship with a captive market.

Your character was conscientious enough not to squander that opportunity. IMO, that's rare, even for corporate monkeys.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
While I chose to go to work for the city for many of the reasons that ultramegabob stated, I am also in the same situation that you stated, no place to go and not much chance to move up the ladder.

If I was still in the field though I would go small shop. I worked for my first boss for six years and guys would come and go. I knew how he was so I used it as a mesure of my sucess, the fact that I was still there. Left him when I got married for the security of a large shop and got laid off from there.

benaround

Brian,

Did you ever read the book ' In search of excellence ' popular in the mid 70's

It sounds like you run your business in the manner the book portrays.

Anyways, Keep up the good work, hope you prosper like crazy in the future,

and don't forget to enjoy yourself away from work once in a while.

brian john

Hey:

I am an electrician that likes everyone I have the gift of the gab and like meeting new people so I am sales and technical. I have a business partner that became a businessman, NICE HONEST and straightforward. I put all my trust in him.

I always wanted to work at a shop that treated be fairly, and that's how I TRY to treat my men.

Status
Not open for further replies.