Big RV Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

czarstoo

Here is an interesting one. A friend of mine is considering buying a large RV that is reported to require 50 ampere service via a power cord with 3 blades and a ground connection. I have reviewed Article 551 and I can not determine if there is a requirement pertaining to how the RV should be wired. Should the RV be wired to accept 120 V from a 50 A source or should it be wired to accept 240 V, 50 A. There is an adapter on the market that is supposed to permit the user to plug into two 30A outlets and then plug in the 50 A RV power cord but, most reports say that the adapter doesn't work (trips breakers, etc). Can anyone shed some light??

beanland

Re: Big RV Wiring

The large RVs use a 120/240V 50A 3-wire plus ground service. They would not run properly on two 30A 120V services if they are from the same 120V leg because they are expecting 240V. See 1999 NEC 551.

allenwayne

Originally posted by beanland:
The large RVs use a 120/240V 50A 3-wire plus ground service. They would not run properly on two 30A 120V services if they are from the same 120V leg because they are expecting 240V. See 1999 NEC 551.
Curious what wouldn`t work right :confused: Roof top a/c`s are 120 volt,water heaters are 12v, gas or 120 v,fridges are gas 12 v or 120v.I have seen these 50a adapters used in a standard rv park that has 50 a and duplex only they also make a 30 to 15 amp adapter so 2 of these on the 50 to 2 30 amp adapter.IMO these adapters are garbage and will melt down in time,My question is this what requires 240 in an RV ???

jimwalker

The newer parks should be no problem,they will have by code some 240 volt outlets.Older parks can have problems.Back when we had a 34 foot pacearrow what i did was cut the back AC out of the system and it had its own cord.Then try to park where there was not a neighbor and plug it into that one.Some of the new motor homes are like small houses and need every bit of that 50 amps.

allenwayne

Still none need 240 v to operate any thing on an RV.I have used the 30 to 15 amp adapters and found that they are garbage (melt down city )
I just bought a 50 ft dove tailed 5th wheelcan put my boat in the back and store what I want in there.Hook up the pick up and go.....
It has a 50 amp 4 wire plug and all there is in a load is 2 13.500 btu roof tops a water heater gas/120 volt and a fridge that is LP/12v/120v. I went and found a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter but I have never seen a site with 2 30 amp receptacles so 30 to 15 amp adapters will be needed in this case.I already bought extra 30 to 15 amp adapters since I know that they will melt down when used :D

mc5w

The receptacle is the SAME 50 amp 4-prong receptacle that you are supposed to use for new electric stove circuits. There is no longer anything special about it.

Install a 50 amp branch circuit using #6 copper in type NM or UF cable. You cannot run the type NM cable directly into the outdoor receptacle.

You can get both the receptacle and weatherproof when in use at Home Depot of Lowe's if the supply house somehow does not understand that you want to install an electric stove receptacle that is weatherproof when in use.

If you use a surface 2-gang bos do not forget to drill a drain hole. A drain hole is an NEC requirement.

Also, if you use a 2-gang outdoor box the best way to install the extension rings is to cut the heads off 4 long roundhead 6-32 screws and install them as studs with jam nuts in the corners. Then, install 2 extension rings using nuts to hold them in place. Install the receptacle using the screws that come with it. Then, install the cover using 4 hex nuts and 4 acorn nuts.

If you use use a recessed 2 gang box on an outside wall, please RTV the h#!! out of the cover when installing so that water does not get inside. Make sure to RTV the gap between the cover and the receptacle face.

Status
Not open for further replies.