Big watt home theater speaker wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshephard

1. How are the voltages mentioned in 725 measured, by the high DC voltage supply in the amp {max zero-p} or the RMS value?
2. What wiring methods are popular and approved for low watt {<100} and high watt {>400, >1000} systems?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Big watt home theater speaker wiring

If this is a home stereo system using non commercial (consumer or audiophile) amplifiers the NEC doesn't apply and you are free to use any wiring method you choose regardless of output wattage. What to use? Just as always more power=bigger wire. The amplifier specs should recommend minimum sizes. The on- line audio dealer websites abound with this stuff. Just don't fall for the $$$ oxygen free litz wound garbage. Plain old copper wire is just fine.
Commercial amplifiers, on the other hand, will have the NEC class of wiring required (Class 1, 2 or 3) marked near the output terminals. This is determined by UL and has no rhyme or reason. I have seen 600 watt amps require Class 2 wiring and 400 watt amps require Class 1 wiring. The only way to determine commercial amplifier wiring requirements then is to look at the back panel of the amplifier. Nothing in 725 is applicable.

pierre

Following listing is of course the way to go, but take a peak at 740.1 and the following FPN. Then take a look at Part III, especially 640.42 - in those references it mentions Article 400 & 725.

Pierre

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Ok, I see the FPN for 640 does include residences.

Article 400 covers flexible cords which cannot be run conceiled or attached to wall surfaces. Are any of the usual speaker wire products listed? I know ever popular "zip cord" is :) but that's a flexible cord now isn't it.

Since the wiring requirements are not designated in NEC terms of Class 1, 2, 3 then how do you know what your options are for conceiled wiring? Article 725 is absolutely no help here.

As I have said many times, this is an area of the NEC that needs work.

hurk27

I even tried to ask belden if they knew that the NEC required class 1 speaker cable for sound systems and that the fact that no one manufactured this type of cable after three tries I gave up. No reply's doesn't sound like they were intrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.