Billing for 2 man service calls

Status
Not open for further replies.

samarrone

I trying to understand more how people bill per a 2 man team, ie a technician and a helper. If your hourly rate is $90, then do you double that rate or give a discounted rate for the helper? Do most people charge accordingly ?

GUNNING

I bill my apprentices out at a lower rate. Others bill out by the project and who they have on the job doesn't matter. It does, but the customer will be billed $xx regardless.

I bill out double what the helper cost me on a time and material job. Like a part. Unless the job is quoted,with an agreed on firm price. I base a journeyman rate on all tasks and I profit on the total job. This happens because I spend the time upfront figuring the job costs so I earn the higher profit.

TodayI had someone wanting warranty work on something I could not fix last time. Were surprised and amazed when I gave them a bill for the work today which consisted of adding 2 GFCI' receptacles and removing the one GFCI her husband put in concealing the miss wiring. Did she want to credit me with completing the task? NO, wanted a discount for free work. Tell me they had put in the GFCI?? Heck no! Me fix it HECK YEAH! Did I get paid, HECK NO! If you do not ask you will not get what you earn, but will have lots of friends. Remember to communicate and make the profits worth the effort. Have these details ironed out up front.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
It depends on your helper. If you can get away with it bill full price for your helper. Unless he's too obviously green.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It depends on your helper. If you can get away with it bill full price for your helper. Unless he's too obviously green.

We bill the same labor rate whether you get the guy with 20 years experience or 2 months. Two techs? Two times X.

Status
Not open for further replies.