Bit # Of Holes

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
How many holes can you get from a 5" core drill bit going through a 6" poured oin place concrete slab if using a quality bit? Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It depends on how hard you are on the bit.
And who's running the machine. I see many guys who simply don't use enough water which kills the bits prematurely. Best practice is hooking the machine to a garden hose and leaving the valve wide open.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Is it fresh concrete, or has it 'aged' a month or two, and achieved its full hardness?
See if the archives for Find Homebuilding Magazine has any equipment test on drill/core bits.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Is it fresh concrete, or has it 'aged' a month or two, and achieved its full hardness?
See if the archives for Find Homebuilding Magazine has any equipment test on drill/core bits.
It also seems to me that one factor would be the type, size, and amount of the aggregate in the concrete. Some concrete I have seen has been mostly rocks.

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Post tension cables brings up an important consideration. Before drilling a post tensioned slab it will need to x-rayed
Our TV transmitter building has three suites. One of the other suites had an OOPS recently. They didn't x-ray, because they were sure they were clear of the cables. They didn't realize there were some conduits in the slab and cored right through one. They didn't need that wall outlet anyway. :)