bit off water main

Status
Not open for further replies.

quogueelectric

I wonder if plumbers are taught in plumbers school to jump out the main when cutting. More and more water services are being done in plastic so this will become less of a problem for plumbers but a worse ground connection only through a couple of rods to earth.

wirenut1980

Got some more info on the install today. Apparently, the EC didn't bond the system at the transformer and went from the XO leg on the trans. to the water pipe...depending on which loads were on I got a reading of 8v to 120v
on the reidentified #6 (250.119?) There were two trans. installed right next to each other...one was done correctly, the other was not.

Are you measuring 120 V from the X0 to the water pipe? If so, I think maybe there is a ground fault occuring intermittently.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The american water works association states one water meter reader a day gets shocked in the US. They recommend a 6" length of NM pipe be installed at least ten feet from the building.

boyle78

Are you measuring 120 V from the X0 to the water pipe? If so, I think maybe there is a ground fault occuring intermittently.

yes, the system seems to be "looking' for a ground...if you take the xo wire off the bond clamp at the water meter, you get an arch between the wire and pipe!

brian john

We hear this story all the time SEEMS to me common sense MIGHT, just might take over and even the least knowledgeable of plumbers would install a jumper across any section of pipe they remove! Most service trucks have jumper cables.

mark32

There's something I don't understand. This transformer in question is feeding a panel, why would the EC run the grounded conductor directly to the water pipe and not along with the rest of the feeders to said panel, then go from there to the water pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.