Blank, dummy, or lockout for Type T Edison base fuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycenesbitt

I'm working in a school auditorium inserting type S rejection bases to replace the type T Edison fuses. The panel is from 1925, features switches for each breaker, and is in good condition.

I've got some circuits that should never be activated again. Is there an available dummy fuse, a lockout, or some other form of blank? I don't want people to throw one of the switches and have hot unfused contacts for fingers to touch.

Alternately how could I safely "blow" a half dozen old 15 amp fuses to use as blanks?

fmtjfw

I'm working in a school auditorium inserting type S rejection bases to replace the type T Edison fuses. The panel is from 1925, features switches for each breaker, and is in good condition.

I've got some circuits that should never be activated again. Is there an available dummy fuse, a lockout, or some other form of blank? I don't want people to throw one of the switches and have hot unfused contacts for fingers to touch.

Alternately how could I safely "blow" a half dozen old 15 amp fuses to use as blanks?

Turn off the power. Take off the cover. Remove the wires from the circuits never to be used again. Wirenut or tape them. Put the cover back on. Then put a live or dead fuse in the circuit and label it as ____.

WorkSafe

Show them OSHA's regulation on not working on energized equipment and then ask if they would accept all liability if something were to go wrong.

renosteinke

I don't see the problem.

Put Type "S" adapter on Type "S" fuse. Insert fuse into fuse holder. You're done - and no more risk involved than changing a fuse.

Alternative: Convert to breakers, and skip the whole 'fuse' issue. There are listed breakers, 15 and 20 amp, available through Cooper /Bussmann, and carried at most home stores. Screw in the breaker, and 'overfusing' is no longer an issue - as there are no fuses.

As for making circuits permanently 'dead,' ... again, what's the problem? Remove fuse, remove wire from load side, cut and cap wire, done.

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Look on page 40. or search the .pdf for W-dummy
http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...ll Line Catalog/BUS_Ele_Full_Line_Catalog.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.