Blow dryer shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Yes, it's all plastic with a two wire.
static shock maybe, I was also thinking, do you know how at times when your working on a circuit (that's even dead) and it feels like you get a shock ?? Maybe a nerve thing ??

I found this recall and it mentions minor shock.. not the unit she has, but all plastic and minor shock ...

https://clark.com/consumer-issues-i...-by-walmart-amazon-pose-burn-and-fire-hazard/

I'm leaning to water, but maybe something else... don't know.

Minor shock after they went into melt down, though.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports Xtava has received 193 reports of the hair dryers “overheating, melting, exploding or catching fire.” That included 18 reports of burns and two reports of the hair dryers causing a minor electrical shock.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
The water is totally dissolved into the air. There is no mist. What can the minerals be dissolved in if the water is 100 percent evaporated into the air?

If you took some of this water and set a small amount of it on a glass and let it evaporate,the minerals would remain on the glass. How could they escape into the air?

Like the way lead, asbestos, do.

kwired

Electron manager
Misleading that she can stick her hand in the water with a running hairdryer. She has the water in a plastic container, has a non conductive countertop, and though we don't know what she is standing on, very possibly is not a conductive surface either. Do the same thing standing barefooted on concrete that is on grade and risk of shock increases quite a bit.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Misleading that she can stick her hand in the water with a running hairdryer. She has the water in a plastic container, has a non conductive countertop, and though we don't know what she is standing on, very possibly is not a conductive surface either. Do the same thing standing barefooted on concrete that is on grade and risk of shock increases quite a bit.

They don’t show you the isolation transformer either.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

How many bathrooms have concrete floors that are on grade?

I understand completely why she didn't get shocked.

JFletcher

I watch the video as well... I got a chuckle out of the rotating red light. That hair dryer does not have an LCDI plug on it, and is not plugged into a GFCI outlet, though it may be protected further down.

Cool parlor trick, however it ignores real world conditions, like the aforementioned insulated or isolated body of water, or her placing her body in series with a grounded object.

If static electricity, or something like reflexive action from carpal tunnel or nerve damage shocks can be or have been eliminated, it's time to throw the hair dryer in the trash and get a new one, and If the GFCI is more than about 15 years old I would replace that as well. The lcdi plug on the dryer is doing its job.

If the bathroom is slam full of steam after a shower, the exhaust fan could probably stand to be replaced or at least cleaned. The guts for many of those Broan and Nu-tone aren't much more than a decent GFCI receptacle and are readily stocked in Lowe's and Home Depot.

retirede

How many bathrooms have concrete floors that are on grade?

I understand completely why she didn't get shocked.

Probably every pool house with a bathroom has an in grade concrete floor, including mine. It is painted, though.
Probably quite a few in basements also.

kwired

Electron manager
Lot of basement bathrooms, locker rooms and similar with reasonably well grounded floors. Even if you have epoxy over concrete, you have a capacitor at very least with thin insulating layer. Big difference in shock hazard potential in those areas compared to raised floors with a wood sub flooring material. Even multi-floor building with concrete sub flooring likely has at least somewhat higher risk as it may have some conductivity to building steel, rebar interconnecting to grade level reinforcing bars etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.