blueprint care

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJWalecka

What do others use to keep prints in mint condition?

I have used clear tape or duct tape around the edges.
PVC pipe cut to length with caps for storage. T12 lamp guards cut to length with caps.

Has anyone tried map seal?

nhfire77

Is this just for the job site or display? I routinely have to hang as builts, and get them laminated.

On the job, screwing them down to the job table (one side with a furrong strip) and telling guys to keep their drinks off it.

Some Full service printers can laminate standard size arch prints. Obviously not staples, but there is one near me that is really good at printing arch prints when I'm in a rush.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you have access to a clothing or upholstered furniture mfg. plant, the rolls of material have a thick cardboard tube that the material is rolled on to. You can get them, cut to length with a band saw (or any saw) make you some end caps and they make good storage for rolled media.

Also, some printers use 6'+ paper on them. The paper is usually rolled on to tubes as well. Some even have plastic inserts in the end to put the bar through to hang on a rack. The inserts would make a good cap/seal for your rolled media.

luckylerado

I have gone to keeping a set on my ipad. I use planGrid to record redlines and generate RFIs. Ipad alone is not adequate though so there is always a large full set in the office. I have never ever been able to keep a paper set "mint" on the job but I have found that an 11x17 set with the top and bottom sheet laminated and 3 hole punched with book rings is the best way for me.

USMC1302

I like to have a set laminated, although depending on services available, can get expensive. If you only have a few sheets you need I would have them laminated, or do it yourself using clear contact paper you can get anywhere. Reduced sets run through a typical laminator machine nicely. You might also try using alcohol based pens to write on laminated prints. Doesn't rub off, but can be erased changed by using a handi-wipe. This method worked well for my military maps and prints for years.

Gold

I been thinking about one of those touchscreen overlays on a 32" flatscreen. You could use one of those raspberrys to hold the os and pdf viewer. Each person using it can carry there own memory sticks with there notes on it. Add a micro messaging app and small on site server (just a separate hard drive) and questions and notes would pop right up between trades. Bet it could be done under $1k be like a giant ipad.

JJWalecka

I like to have a set laminated, although depending on services available, can get expensive. If you only have a few sheets you need I would have them laminated, or do it yourself using clear contact paper you can get anywhere. Reduced sets run through a typical laminator machine nicely. You might also try using alcohol based pens to write on laminated prints. Doesn't rub off, but can be erased changed by using a handi-wipe. This method worked well for my military maps and prints for years.

Tried the clear contact paper before. Crap if not put on correctly. :blink:

Have you ever tried map seal?

USMC1302

The contact paper takes a little practice, but have done a lot of large maps with it(no choice). Tried Map Seal once....just don't think it protects as well. The laminators I have used are the kind found at the typical school library and won't fit a full size drawing or map, but you can fold it in half, run it through, then split it and reverse it, to run through again. The prints and maps I have laminated have lasted for years. The pens I mentioned earlier are great for redlines or notes for as-builts. We're in the process of trying to scan all the existing drawings, but I always need a set that's not beat up to drag around.

kwired

Electron manager
Plexiglass and a backer board. Keeps them dry, and prevents being torn or written on. Works well when you only need limited number of pages to be available for regular viewing, which in most cases that is all we need and can occasionally look through the master plan for certain details when necessary. You can usually write notes on it with marker and clean it off for the next project and a new set of plans.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
What do others use to keep prints in mint condition?

I have used clear tape or duct tape around the edges.
PVC pipe cut to length with caps for storage. T12 lamp guards cut to length with caps.

Has anyone tried map seal?

autocad.

i get the drawings from the electrical engineer, do all my pad layouts, asbuilts, etc.
on the drawing. stubs in walls, etc. are all dimensioned that way on the asbuilts.

what's good about it, is i can make a pad sketch, and lay out control lines and dimension
directly from them. i can allow for drywall thickness, strut, switchgear cutouts, and dimension
directly from field layout points, reducing error.

when i need working copies, i half size them, and print them at speedy print around
the corner, or kinkos on the other corner. (prohibitively expensive)

my chicken scratching on the working drawings i transfer back to the autocad file.
when the job is over, i take all my as builts, put them on a layer called _ELECASBLTS,
and email them.

on the same email goes the invoice for the retention..... :happyyes:

renosteinke

It's all a matter of degree.

Nothing beats long-term storage in a purpose-designed print file. I prefer the hanging type to the flat files.

On the job site? Tape it to the wall. Better yet, hang a clear sheet of acetate over it as well. You can draw on, and erase, alcohol markers with the acetate.

There's a guy selling a fabric, fold-up 'print desk' that you hang from the wall; looks promising. I should get one and try it.

Really "posh" would be to get a 'shop desk' and a plexiglass cover for the print. Some even have a place under the tilted top to store a print.

Daily use? I make lots of 8-1/2 x 11 copies, and doodle on them all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.