Boat dock electrical requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb3551

Occupation
Inspector
Where is it found in the NEC which states: All electrical equipment such as receptacle outlets, switches, junction boxes, lighting fixtures, etc. shall not be installed within 6' feet of any ladder attached to the docking facility?

Most of the docks I inspect are bolted to the wood deck boards and no bonded to the frame of the dock in a single-family residence docking facility. The other issues I run into is Article 555.13 All metal parts in contact with the water, all-metal piping, and all non-current-carrying metal parts(such as ladders-me) that are likely to become energized shall be connected to the grounding bus in the panelboard using a solid copper conductor (because of Electrolysis-me), insulated, covered, or bare; not smaller than 8 AWG. Connections to bonded parts shall be made in accordance with Article 250.8 Question: Is this article also used for single-family residence docking facilities?

One more thing, The Corp of engineers at Lake Lanier are trusting electricians to sign off on boat docks around the lake. I often come in afterward and find these safety violations. Is there something in the NEC or Mike Holts videos that deal specifically with residential boat dock requirements I can take to the Corp of Engineers?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most of the docks on Lanier are several hundred feet away from the houses, so they may figure it would set up a different potential between the lake and the dock. They say Lanier has so much utility voltage leakage that it has 3-4 volts on it. The Corp spec sheet I saw didn’t show any bonding, just their specs. It may also be they want the dock removable, hence the twist locks. My buddy has to move his several times a year due to vast differences of lake levels.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where is it found in the NEC which states: All electrical equipment such as receptacle outlets, switches, junction boxes, lighting fixtures, etc. shall not be installed within 6' feet of any ladder attached to the docking facility?
There is no such rule in the NEC.
Most of the docks I inspect are bolted to the wood deck boards and no bonded to the frame of the dock in a single-family residence docking facility. The other issues I run into is Article 555.13 All metal parts in contact with the water, all-metal piping, and all non-current-carrying metal parts(such as ladders-me) that are likely to become energized shall be connected to the grounding bus in the panelboard using a solid copper conductor (because of Electrolysis-me), insulated, covered, or bare; not smaller than 8 AWG. Connections to bonded parts shall be made in accordance with Article 250.8 Question: Is this article also used for single-family residence docking facilities?
The answer depends on what edition of the code applies. Starting with the 2017 code, Article 555's scope was modified to include " docking facilities associated with one-family dwellings, two-family dwellings, multifamily dwellings, and residential condominiums " Prior to the 2017 code Article 555 did not apply to a dock at a single family dwelling unit.

One more thing, The Corp of engineers at Lake Lanier are trusting electricians to sign off on boat docks around the lake. I often come in afterward and find these safety violations. Is there something in the NEC or Mike Holts videos that deal specifically with residential boat dock requirements I can take to the Corp of Engineers?
Again, it would depend on the code edition that is in effect in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.