Boat Zincs

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Does anybody know how the electrical system and the zinc electrodes are configured on a boat for corrosion prevention.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Boat Zincs

The zinc electrode is to focus current away from the screw shaft and bearings.

physis

Yes, and the plank fasteners. My question is how the system is configured. I beleive the salt water is used as an electrolyte and the zincs are connected to the electrical system. I don't know the details.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Type in "Ocean Currents Wiring" take your pick, there is a bunch of information there.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired

One of the most effective things you can do to limit corrosion on your boat is to make sure that there is no metallic pathway between the boat's metallic hull fittings and the shore power system. Whatever arrangement that you use to switch between shore power and onboard power must switch all of the conductors including the equipment grounding conductor. The onboard power distribution wiring must be completely isolated from all metallic hull fittings when supplied by shore power. The cheapest way to do that is to have the onboard wiring cord and plug connected to one power source or the other with a flanged inlet or heavy duty pigtail.
--
Tom

[ May 11, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: hornetd ]

Status
Not open for further replies.