Bollard Lights, Concrete Bases

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I've seen a question come up about removing a bollard from the base and replacing with a 10 foot pole light. I haven't poured bases in years but best I recall, bollards were poured about 18 - 24 inches deep. A 10 foot pole light should be 3 feet, from the charts I've seen. How deep have any of you poured bollards?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I saw a 35-40’ light pole laying over after a windstorm, brand new Cracker Barrel. Pole base was less than 2 1/2’ deep! Don’t know how that one got by the City of Alpharetta inspection department.

Occupation
Lighting Supplier
I've seen a question come up about removing a bollard from the base and replacing with a 10 foot pole light. I haven't poured bases in years but best I recall, bollards were poured about 18 - 24 inches deep. A 10 foot pole light should be 3 feet, from the charts I've seen. How deep have any of you poured bollards?
Don't know which kind of Bollard you are installing but Bollards I have been supplying to my customers gets install with just a few screws.
I tried adding an image/link of an installation sheet, but I couldn't insert. I can share to your email if you want or email me at and I will reply. Good Luck!

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Don't know which kind of Bollard you are installing but Bollards I have been supplying to my customers gets install with just a few screws.
I tried adding an image/link of an installation sheet, but I couldn't insert. I can share to your email if you want or email me at and I will reply. Good Luck!
I think you missed the point. I was talking about some of our guys wanting to use the same base from a bollard light to install a 10 foot pole light. My main concern was depth of the base. Bollards I've installed usually had a base 18 inches to 2 feet at most. A 10 foot pole needs a base 3 feet deep and probably wider too.

Ohm2

Occupation
Electrician
I think you missed the point. I was talking about some of our guys wanting to use the same base from a bollard light to install a 10 foot pole light. My main concern was depth of the base. Bollards I've installed usually had a base 18 inches to 2 feet at most. A 10 foot pole needs a base 3 feet deep and probably wider too.
A 10-foot Pole Light generally requires a 3-foot deep foundation. The depth of the foundation is often determined by soil conditions wind load and local engineering specs. Some installations may require even deeper foundations, depending on the weight of the pole and fixture, as well as environmental factors.

farmantenna

The ones I've done no deeper than 2' and bolts were closely Spaced and smaller diameter, I think. It would have to be light weight pole to use bollard base and risky