Bond cable fasterner creates choke

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcpowerman

I have an installation where Snap in Coax hangers were used to support #2 solid bonding jumpers for Antenna support pies and alsu equipment bonds to collection bar. The carrier has sited the installation as creating a choke during a lightning event. The clamps are not continuous and are 301 stainless steel that has diminished, very low magnetic properties. My position is due to the clamp being non-continuous and constructed odf 301 stainless which is considered non ferrous in the scraping industry the risk of creating as choke during a lightniong event is low. The condutor is a bond, there are friction connections, clamps and bolts for all metallic parts of the antenna suppor that create a secondary path.

Have spoken with several lightning protection engineers i the area and they do not consider the use of the snap in as a choke. What do you say.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO it would need to be ferrous to have any property of a choke, since it's not I agree with you.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
IMO it would need to be ferrous to have any property of a choke, since it's not I agree with you.
I would agree and also the fact that it is not a complete circle negates the choke effect. I don't see this as an NEC violation but may run afoul of some spec.

hurk27

If the hanger makes a complete circle then things change even if one end is not connected, but still it would have very little effect, air core transformers are used with copper wire all the time in radio circuits and copper wire is very non ferrous, stainless steel being an iron based metal would have much more effect then copper but it still would be very small even if several turns were made.

But those who pay the bill have the last say even if it is a misinformed say.

Status
Not open for further replies.