Bonded Neutral Generator to backfeed panel. Will it work without non-bonded transfer switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mateck

New User
Occupation
Self Employed - Integartor
I just received my Champion 6250 inverter generator with 30 amp 240 outlet. I would like to backfeed my panel with 30 amp breaker and interlock kit. I like the idea of being able to choose any of the many circuits on my 200 amp panel. I have read where if you are using a bonded neutral generator (which this one is) that you need a non-bonded transfer switch and if using a "open" neutral generator you need a bonded transfer switch. But what if you are just going directly to your circuit panel? Does that mean the connection is "bonded" because the neutral from the generator will be connected full time to the ground/neutral bar at the main panel? I'm wondering if this will work, or if I will be forced to get a transfer switch. Thanks! Matt

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.