Bonding a gas pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.P.

Yesterday the mechanical guys had a inspection. He told them to get us to move our bonding wire. Which is fine, but I don't really understand why it's is an issue. I wasn't there and nobody asked for a code reference.

The inspector wants to bond wire moved over to where the gas pipe comes in the building and ran 100ft or better straight to the main panel.
Isn't the gas pipe bonded anyway by the ground wire in every air handler and water heater?

My actual ground for the building is a C.E.E. everything else is bonding and I didn't see a requirement for where it has to be bonded.

The water line and sprinkler line as well. If i'm not using the water line for a grounding electrode then do I have to bond it where it comes in the building? Or can I bond it in front of the main panel? It is still a 2" copper pipe at that point.

I should add that the gas piping is up on top of a poured cap and only enters the building in 1" drops to the units. It is possible to get up there, but you have to remove some ceiling grid and set up a extension ladder and crawl through a small hole to do so.
I attached my gas pipe bond in a mechanical room where you could see it and reach it from a 6' ladder

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it when I understand it:)

I made a horrible drawing I will try to post.

Attachments

• mutual.jpg
    mutual.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
THe gas code requires CSST piping to be bonded at the point of entry. Is there any CSST piping? If not then I disagree with the inspector. No bonding is required if the equipment grounding conductor from an piece of gas equipment is present

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with Dennis. As far as I know the only time gas lines are required to be bonded is if there is any CSST installed anywhere in the premises and it has to be bonded at the gas main.

Every time this topic comes up I think back when this forum was first started and someone (it may have even been Mike Holt) posted an article about corroding gas lines (I believe it was in Austin, TX) and it was determined that the cause was that gas lines were bonded to electrical systems throughout the city. Does anyone else remember that and if so do you have a link to the article ? Sorry, I don't mean to pirate this thread but I thought it might be relevant.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree with Dennis. As far as I know the only time gas lines are required to be bonded is if there is any CSST installed anywhere in the premises and it has to be bonded at the gas main.

Every time this topic comes up I think back when this forum was first started and someone (it may have even been Mike Holt) posted an article about corroding gas lines (I believe it was in Austin, TX) and it was determined that the cause was that gas lines were bonded to electrical systems throughout the city. Does anyone else remember that and if so do you have a link to the article ? Sorry, I don't mean to pirate this thread but I thought it might be relevant.

I our area ,and I would guess many areas, the gas company has a dielectric fitting that keeps the bonding separate from the line side of the gas meter.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I our area ,and I would guess many areas, the gas company has a dielectric fitting that keeps the bonding separate from the line side of the gas meter.
That makes sense. I'm guessing that's why they want you to bond the gas line on the load side of the meter.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
That makes sense. I'm guessing that's why they want you to bond the gas line on the load side of the meter.

Look at 250.52(B)--

(B) Not Permitted for Use as Grounding Electrodes.
The following systems and materials shall not be used as
grounding electrodes:

(1) Metal underground gas piping systems
(2) Aluminum

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Understood. If it were bonded on the line side of the meter it would be considered a grounding electrode. Do you believe that the bonding of the gas line would have prevented the perferration of the CSST in this article ?:

http://www.pceca.net/images/stories/the_case_of_the_livestock_farm_fire.pdf

Also, found this article from the March 2014 EC Magazine :

http://www.pceca.net/images/stories/gas_pipe_bonding.pdf

Honestly I don't know. I know some feel as though it wont while others think it will. Maybe , just maybe, it will help a bit...;)

JDB3

Did a house where I checked with the electrical inspector. He wanted the gas pipe bonded after the meter. On final inspection, he passed me, but said he wanted the gas pipe bonded before the meter. I just bonded before & after, perhaps, he forgot what he wanted?????????

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Did a house where I checked with the electrical inspector. He wanted the gas pipe bonded after the meter. On final inspection, he passed me, but said he wanted the gas pipe bonded before the meter. I just bonded before & after, perhaps, he forgot what he wanted?????????

Read post 8. That install before the meter is non compliant and I bet if the gas company knew about it they would have a fit.

JRW 70

Occupation
Testing and Engineer
Pre di-electric union bonding

Pre di-electric union bonding

At my utility if they found the bond before the dielectric union,
they would call a trouble truck and pull the electric and gas meters
until this was resolved. In part of our service territory (eastern) the
gas lines have (annodic or cathodic - I forget as I work at generation plants)
protection and could short out the ac-dc conversion equipment to provide
the corrosion protection. So yes denial of service is a very possible
outcome.

JR

J.P.

This is a case of appease the inspector so he doesn't make life hard in the future.

Here is a pic I took of the bonding.

It is installed with half lap wraps of high quality product, do you think two layers would be better..................

Attachments

• IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.