Bonding a resin swimming pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkn9396

I had to ground a new above ground swimming pool the other day. The only metal part is the liner. All the posts and top cap parts are made of plastic resin. I cannot get to the seam of the liner without removing a post and I do not believe that removing a post would be a good idea with 2000 gallons of water on the other side. All the other pools have had a metal stucture to bond to, this one does not. Got any sugestions?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Bonding a resin swimming pool

Can you construct a temporary support on each side of one post? This might allow you to remove the post, make the bonding connection, and reinstall the post? Not having seen the pool, I do not know whether this could be done, without taking a risk that the temporary support might not hold.

racraft

2000 gallons? Either that's a typo or it's an awfully small pool.

Most resin pools I have seen have a bonding location that is exposed to allow you do the bonding after installation. (Most above ground pools are installed first and then have the electrical added later.) Contact the manufacturer of the pool and/or the installer and ask them.

electricmanscott

I did one of these before. I think I was able to remove the cap or base from the post and access one of the nuts from the liner connection to attach a lug. If you do remove the post have a video camera at the ready. This will make for good video footage. Surfs up! :eek:

pierre

Dkn
You are the electrician (my assumption :) ), so you should let the pool installer do his thing, which is expose some part of the pool for your connection. This way you will not be responsible for any damage to the pool. I just inspected such a pool, and the EC bonded the pool in 4 places, which were readily accessible.

One thing I have learned about pool installations; the pool installer usually knows less than we (electricians) do, so don't rely on them, and the pool company will usually comply with the request we make to help ease the installation if we get there too late after the pool install. Just put your foot down and be firm ;)

Pierre

jeffro1391

If you are worried about your connection corrosion, an encapuslating compound would do the job. The same compound is required on a wet light niche by 680 of NEC. Here are two such item that are listed for this application, (1) 3M #2135 Encapuslating Compound & (2) AquaBond an Encapuslating Compound (blue in color & easily reconnized by inspectors) www.aquabond.com

Status
Not open for further replies.