Bonding an gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcLazerbeam

250.52 (B) (1) prohibits grounding the underground gas piping as GEC.

However 250.104 (B) tells you the requirements needed to bond the interior gas piping. Usually if the gas appliance has a plug on it, you meet the requirements.

To help clarify how it makes any difference. Apparently there is no continuity on the inlet and outlet of the gas meter.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Bond on the customer's side of the gas meter. Technically I don't think it requires an irreversible splice because it is not part of the grounding electrode system.

user 100

To help clarify how it makes any difference. Apparently there is no continuity on the inlet and outlet of the gas meter.

:happyyes:
A dielectric fitting is installed by utilities to prevent problems with their cathodic protection system on their pipes/turning their pipes into another ground.

Gas companies will quickly remove any clamp they see on their side.

Bond on the customer's side of the gas meter. Technically I don't think it requires an irreversible splice because it is not part of the grounding electrode system.

Yeah if you have a black iron pipe installation, its not needed- the egc on the appliance takes care of bonding.

If the op has csst, then he could bond on the rigid at meter, and that will suffice for the required bonding of the csst.

And no, irreversibility not needed.

To the OP: just make sure your clamp is listed for UL 467- Ericos are great and would work.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
only the grounding electrode conductor requires irreversible splices, this would be a bonding jumper.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
only the grounding electrode conductor requires irreversible splices, this would be a bonding jumper.

I agree, as long as you don't cut the GEC to connect to it. Split bolt works well for these connections.

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

Around here, it's not the AHJ that are asking for it, it's the home inspectors that are asking for it on their reports. So basically, we have been doing it right except we can use a split bolt instead of a irreversible. Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.