Bonding Bushings (When required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsrandy

I have a PVC underground run which changes to EMT above grade. It then enters a box with reducing washers to make it fit. The conduit contains (3) 277 volt circuits with a ground and a neutral. Does this application require a bonding bushing? And where can I find this in the NEC?

iwire

Staff member
Re: Bonding Bushings (When required)

Surprisingly your not required to use any bonding bushing.

UL considers reducing washers as suitable for bonding.

That assumes you have removed any paint from the enclosure where the washers touch it.

For what it's worth, bonding bushings are cheap insurance.

ryan_618

Originally posted by iwire:
Surprisingly your not required to use any bonding bushing.

UL considers reducing washers as suitable for bonding.

That assumes you have removed any paint from the enclosure where the washers touch it.

For what it's worth, bonding bushings are cheap insurance.
Bob, I didn't think they were listed for 277 volt bonding though, as required in 250.97. Do you know if they are?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by ryan_618:
Bob, I didn't think they were listed for 277 volt bonding though, as required in 250.97. Do you know if they are?
Ryan it appears they are OK per UL for above 250 grounding.

2004 UL White Book
OUTLET BUSHINGS AND FITTINGS (QCRV)
GROUNDING
Metal reducing washers are considered suitable for grounding for use in circuits over and under 250 V and where installed in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, ??National Electrical Code.??

dillon3c

Bob,
I also had no idea, of this being of legal installation. I went to UL site just to be sure..Good call & heads-up on your part.. :D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I don't care what UL says, that installation, while code compliant, is not safe. There is no way that reducing washers are an adequate fault clearing path at any voltage.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Don, I'm with you. This would be especially dangerous on a painted enclosure where you need the cutting action of the locknut to get down to bare metal.

ryan_618

Alright...I checked into this a bit more, because I had the same feelings as Don. I called a good friend of mine that works for UL, and also happens to serve on CMP 5 (Art. 250, 280, 285). We discussed the listing standard for these fittings. They must pass the same test as a bonding bushing, bonding locknut, bonding wedge, etc., which is the UL 467. The UL 467 contains some various things, but the most relevent info I will post here.

Basically the fittings are tested at the desired voltage (120 and 277 in this case) and subjected to a ground fault of 1,180 amps for 4 seconds of duration for trade size 1/2". For trade size 2", for example, it is the same test, but the duration is only two seconds and the fault current is 3,900 amps. After thinking about it for a while, it is obvious that this test would clear any protective device that could be attached to a conductor that would fit in a 1/2" raceway, and it would clear the fault much, much faster than 4 seconds (probably more like 2 cycles).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Ryan,
I'd have to see the test and the test installation before I will believe that. I just don't think that they will do that job. Maybe under ideal test conditions, but not in the real world.
Don

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
Ryan,
I'd have to see the test and the test installation before I will believe that. I just don't think that they will do that job. Maybe under ideal test conditions, but not in the real world.
Don
Don your post reads like the emails between Ryan and I. :)

charlie

I would tell you what I thought of the UL listing of reducing washers for grounding but I try not to talk that way anymore. :D

hurk27

but I try not to talk that way anymore.
You say that allot Charlie :D
I hate it when I can't speak my mind. :D

Have you notice there has been some changes in our state building department (Which is now part of homeland security :eek: ) ?

Someone must have spoken their mind. :eek:

hardworkingstiff

My 2 pennies is why would you even consider not putting in a bonded bushing? The NEC is a minimum standard, and IMO a bonded bushing is necessary (although not required).

inspector 102

Charlie - I hope that Raliegh can keep his mind with all the changes occuring with the state. Additionally, I appreciate all you input on this site for local inspectors like myself. I recall a seminar in the past that you served as a moderator and was and still am impressed with you knowledge on the subjects.
Hopefully the state will continue to get better with the processes and qualified people will continue to serve on the Commission. I am still waiting to see the total impact of all the changes to IDFBS.

charlie

I recall a seminar in the past that you served as a moderator and was and still am impressed with you knowledge on the subjects.
I lost the note, where am I supposed to send your check? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.