bonding conduit (class 1 zone2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DhQ

Occupation
planer
hello,
I need your help regarding bonding a raceway in a class 1 zone 2 application.

Do I need to use bonding jumpers when my conduit only runs PLC outputs to actuator like solenoid valves?
On the machine frame are other raceways mounted, they supply AC motors. The frame is grounded on the customer side.

I just add my raceway to this existing frame/raceway... would be very grateful if you can give me the NEC article number, so I can look it up there too.

Thanks very much for your reply and help!

greetings from germany

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
have you actually ever seen an area in the US classified to zones? I haven't.
I have not, but the OP mentioned zones. While he did not use the terms correctly, he did use the word zone.

For the purposes of his question, it doesn't matter if it is a zone system or a Class and division system, as the rule you cited and the one I cited say the same thing.

DhQ

Occupation
planer
hello,

thank you guys very much for your fast response!

Our customer defined the hazadrous areas as Class I Zone 2 -> therefore article 505.XX

As far as I understood the article 505.25(A) says, I need to provied bonding measueres regardless of the voltage run in the racway.
And the fittings (conduit threaed connectors like bodies; unions; elbows we use LR17 from Eaton Crouse-Hinds for example ) do not provide an suitable connection.
Hence I need Jumpers

Did I get the code passage right, or am I wrong with my interpretation...
Thanks again for your kind help

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
And the fittings (conduit threaed connectors like bodies; unions; elbows we use LR17 from Eaton Crouse-Hinds for example ) do not provide an suitable connection.
Hence I need Jumpers
Threaded connections made up "wrench tight" do not require any additional bonding. Where using threaded conduit, the only additional bonding required is at the conduit terminations.

Status
Not open for further replies.