Bonding Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawbox

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding bonding/grounding.

1) The sketch below leads you to believe that the bonding jumper has to be a separate wire, is this the case or can you attach the grounding conductor to the bushing and then into the conduit?

1100205275_2.jpg

Here's an example I saw walking one of the houses we built. The grounding conductor attaches to the bonding conector at the end of the emt and then connects to the incoming water service.

DSC02781.JPG

2) If you connect your meter base to the service panel with rigid conduit does it need to be bonded on both sides (meter base and service panel)?

Thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding bonding/grounding.

1) The sketch below leads you to believe that the bonding jumper has to be a separate wire, is this the case or can you attach the grounding conductor to the bushing and then into the conduit?

1100205275_2.jpg

The sketch is just explaining that if you use another wire for the jumper it must be at least the same size or larger than the GEC, it is perfectly fine to use the GEC through the bond bushing lug.

Here's an example I saw walking one of the houses we built. The grounding conductor attaches to the bonding conector at the end of the emt and then connects to the incoming water service.

DSC02781.JPG

Perfectly fine

2) If you connect your meter base to the service panel with rigid conduit does it need to be bonded on both sides (meter base and service panel)?

Thanks

It only needs to be bonded on one side and this doesn't necessarily mean a bonding bushing must be used on the one side.

Roger

raider1

Staff member

You can either run a bonding jumper or loop the GEC through the bonding clamp.

The installation in the picture that you provided would be fine.

Service equipment needs to be bonded in accordance with 250.92.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.