Bonding electrical equipment to lightning protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm working on a project and found an issue that concerns me. On the inside of this building there's a ground ring that runs along the entire wall about 10 feet up. It's bare stranded copper (I believe 4/0). The lightning protection down conductors are a braided mesh and connect to this ground ring, then the ground ring is tied into ground at a few points around the building. It seems the only thing that's connected to this ground ring is the lightning protection. Would we be allowed to tie equipment supplemental grounding to this ground ring? I'd imagine if the equipment is close enough to the ring then we would be required to bond to it to prevent sideflash. Is this correct?
I believe article 250.60 is what's throwing me off. Is this stating that the lightning protection system should be separate from the equipment ground system and then tied together at the grounding electrodes?

Thanks

Adamjamma

I would not tie equipment to it. I would let it do it’s job of lightning stuff as it was designed and continue to tie my equipment bonding to my egc system.

For one thing, and I know I am not very well versed in this electrical bonding stuff, I think if you bond to the lightning system then any equipment so bonded is now more likely to get hit by lightning... rather than having it disappeared through the grounding system.

shortcircuit2

For lightning protection...everything should be bonded so you have equipotential. That wire around the room sounds like an IPGB (interior perimeter ground bus) and every piece of equipment gets bonded too it in a "homerun" method... the "daisy chain" method of grounding and bonding equipment is not permitted. Lightning protection grounding and bonding should not be used in lieu of equipment grounding and bonding is the way I read 250.60

If your working on a communication type facility with antennas, refer to the Motorola R56 Grounding Standard for guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.