Bonding Fence Solar Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

dontknow

Understanding the requirement based on 250.194 this section refers to 16 foot distance of exposed electrical conductors or equipment. Does this apply to a solar array 1000-1500vdc panels wiring etc are all exposed by definition. Others refer to 691.11 for fields larger than 5000kw to refer to the EOR. Honestly this has been a debated topic due to various angle of interpretation. So in closing if the wires or equipment are closer than 16 foot from the fence does this require it to be bonded?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Understanding the requirement based on 250.194 this section refers to 16 foot distance of exposed electrical conductors or equipment. Does this apply to a solar array 1000-1500vdc panels wiring etc are all exposed by definition. Others refer to 691.11 for fields larger than 5000kw to refer to the EOR. Honestly this has been a debated topic due to various angle of interpretation. So in closing if the wires or equipment are closer than 16 foot from the fence does this require it to be bonded?
691.11 reads like its up the design engineer of record?
This has been asked here before:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
My reading is that a PV array by itself is a not a substation, so I don't think that 250.194 strictly applies. But I think that won't get you out of following it unless the EOR specifies otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.