Bonding Fiberglass Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Npstewart

I know this has probably been mentioned several times on this forum but cant seem to find this exactly.

If you have a non-conductive pool service such as fiberglass, do you have to introduce a copper grid around the pool and then bond the copper grid?

Or, do you just not provide any metal and therefore no bonding is required?

In this situation, there is no metal hand rail, and the LED light is plastic.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Storable pools do not require an equipotential grid, permanent ones do.

How do you enforce a requirement like this with a portable pool?

Where are guys getting that it's a portable pool? OP certainly didn't say that, he only said it was fiberglass. Those fiberglass pools come in a full size and are in-ground pools.
The only difference (bonding wise) between a fiberglass and metal pool is you don't have to bond the shell itself like you have to do on a metal one, hitting 4 equally spaced points around the pool shell. Also like you would have to do to an above ground pool that is 42" or greater in depth.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Are these kind of pools ul-listed? You would think if so that some kind of bonding means would be required to be part of the pool

I couldn't tell you if they are listed or not but there is nothing in the shell (fiberglass) that is conductive, so no bonding needed. Now if they add a metal ladder, handrail, etc. then those would need bonding. Also, since the water needs bonding, anything like a metal rail or ladder would accomplish that providing they were bonded to the grid/ring.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I couldn't tell you if they are listed or not but there is nothing in the shell (fiberglass) that is conductive, so no bonding needed. Now if they add a metal ladder, handrail, etc. then those would need bonding. Also, since the water needs bonding, anything like a metal rail or ladder would accomplish that providing they were bonded to the grid/ring.

This is true. Not sure about UL listing on these bath tubs-don't do them.

I am not aware that a pool light fixture or the wet niche if stainless, qualifies for water bonding. A pool heater with a copper/nickel with exchanger does not qualify.
There a couple of ways to bond the water. One is through the skimmer body. A small drilled allows for a stainless plate with a lug to be fastened. Not a fan especially on concrete pools. After attachment, the skimmer body is encased is concrete making it difficult for future access. Vinyl or fiberglass pools are more accessible.

My preference is the in-line brass fixture. It has a 1" NPT. I set it after the discharge side of the filter pump. It has a lug connection and is easily accessible. It's looped with the bond wire to the other respective motors and/or equipment.

These water bond devices WILL corrode at some point. After all, they are in a corrosive condition continually. Throw in the saltwater generators for added corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.