Bonding grounded conductor to CT Can

Status
Not open for further replies.

xguard

This is a snip from a utility company's specifications. I thought 250.80 required the grounded conductor to be bonded to the CT Enclosure. Only a bonding screw is shown for connection to a ground rod. So question 1 is: Shouldn't the CT enclosure be connected to the grounded conductor?
1586877980710.png
Question 2: In our case we have splices inside the junction box shown in dashed lines. I believe this box also needs to be bonded to the grounded conductor. Assuming all conduits are metal, all bushings are bonding type; does the grounded conductor need to be connected in the Junction Box and in the CT Enclosure or can it just be done in one?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
All metallic parts and enclosures must be bonded in a manner compliant with 250.92. This would include the CT can, J box, nipples, etc.
This can be done with supply side bonding jumpers or connection to the grounded conductor as long as it complies with 250.92.

kwired

Electron manager
If this is supply side of the "service point" NEC doesn't apply to it.

That said I would think NESC would require bonding grounded conductor to the enclosure as well. POCO's around here would bond it to the enclosure.

xguard

All metallic parts and enclosures must be bonded in a manner compliant with 250.92. This would include the CT can, J box, nipples, etc.
This can be done with supply side bonding jumpers or connection to the grounded conductor as long as it complies with 250.92.
I think I'm following now. The connection to the grounded conductor can either be directly in the box or through one of the other methods in 250.92. One example being bonding locknuts, or bonding jumpers being another example.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If this is supply side of the "service point" NEC doesn't apply to it.

That said I would think NESC would require bonding grounded conductor to the enclosure as well. POCO's around here would bond it to the enclosure.

If the junction box is the service point, (or encloses it), don't you think the NEC would apply?

kwired

Electron manager
If the junction box is the service point, (or encloses it), don't you think the NEC would apply?
Seems more likely to me that service point would be either the utility entry or the customer exit point making the box be one side or the other of that point. Since POCO usually dictates what goes inside the box it is more likely the customer exit point will be the service point.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Seems more likely to me that service point would be either the utility entry or the customer exit point making the box be one side or the other of that point. Since POCO usually dictates what goes inside the box it is more likely the customer exit point will be the service point.
For our utility, the service point for a commercial installation like that would be the secondary terminals of the utility transformer.

kwired

Electron manager
For our utility, the service point for a commercial installation like that would be the secondary terminals of the utility transformer.
Many times is that way here as well, they often would put their CT's in the transformer as it often is only serving one customer when there is large enough load that CT metering is needed.

One POCO almost always puts CT's in a cabinet, but they provide the cabinet and connect everything inside. customer load side conductors are basically the starting point of the customer side of "service point" on those.

Status
Not open for further replies.