Bonding Interior Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK guys help me out here. I have individuals living in modified containers to make bedrooms out of them. They have metal walls that are not connected to the grounding electrode system. No Fault Current Path. There are outlets and switches in these walls. There are electric wall heaters mounted on them and conductors going through the walls without protection. What do you think walls bonded or not. (NEC 250.104) I used this code to my boss and he does not think this constitutes being likely to become energized. I am an Inspector do you have any ideas to help me inforce this? I tried 250.104, 250.190 :rolleyes:

Cavie

OK guys help me out here. I have individuals living in modified containers to make bedrooms out of them. They have metal walls that are not connected to the grounding electrode system. No Fault Current Path. There are outlets and switches in these walls. There are electric wall heaters mounted on them and conductors going through the walls without protection. What do you think walls bonded or not. (NEC 250.104) I used this code to my boss and he does not think this constitutes being likely to become energized. I am an Inspector do you have any ideas to help me inforce this? I tried 250.104, 250.190 :rolleyes:

In Florida all metal framing that has electric in it will be bonded per Fla building code.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think they qualify as structural metal. I also suspect they are bolted together, which would bond the individual units to each other. So you would need to run a GEC to a convenient spot.

These containers are about 9X20 only one room. They put insulation on the walls (1 1/2" thick) and glued the painted metal directly to it. 250.104(c) says that you have to bond the structure but I did not see anything that says interior metal walls. I feel that they are likely to become energized because there are outlets and switches in them and there are wires passing through without protection. The walls show continuity to the GEC but it is just by luck I think. Because I dont see anywhere they are connected. It is probablly through the door frame. 250.190 deals with equipment not housing. I am still looking!:-?

stickboy1375

Wasn't there a story of an delivery appliance man that was killed when hooking up the dryer, apparently all the metal studs in the house were energized after a Sheetrock screw pieced a wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.