Bonding jumper PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch shows bonding jumoer from service disconnect to the conduit. However one conduit is PVC and has the bonding. I thought bonsing jumper apply to metallic not non metallic parts. Is it stated anywhere in the code or do they have to wire EGC PVC conduit?
454f9c990a2079c636c3bdafcf9213fd.jpg

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
What about metal raceway side? If no supply side bonding jumper is provided than how else this be bonded?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The nipple to the gutter is a service raceway.

If PVC the Grounded conductor serves as the return and is bonded in the Meter or Service Disconnect or whatever it is in the drawing that's not labeled.

JAP>

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The nipple to the gutter is a service raceway.

If PVC the Grounded conductor serves as the return and is bonded in the Meter or Service Disconnect or whatever it is in the drawing that's not labeled.

JAP>
Where in code it says nipple for metallic can be used as EGC?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Where in code it says nipple for metallic can be used as EGC?

It actually doesn't, however that has long been the intent and has a proven safety record. There is a new section in the Second Revision of the 2020 NEC to address this.
250.109 Metal Enclosures.Metal enclosures shall be permitted to be used to connect bonding jumpers or equipment grounding conductors, or both, together to become a part of an effective ground-fault current path. Metal covers and metal fittings attached to these metal enclosures shall be considered as being connected to bonding jumpers or equipment grounding conductors, or both.

kwired

Electron manager
Attached sketch shows bonding jumoer from service disconnect to the conduit. However one conduit is PVC and has the bonding. I thought bonsing jumper apply to metallic not non metallic parts. Is it stated anywhere in the code or do they have to wire EGC PVC conduit?
454f9c990a2079c636c3bdafcf9213fd.jpg
If I am seeing what I think I am seeing, you have a trough with service conductors in it, then it goes to two separate service disconnecting means, one with non metallic nipple one with a metallic nipple.

Both service disconnecting means enclosures are already bonded to the grounded conductor via bonding jumper/screw on the grounded conductor assembly.

Metal raceways and metallic enclosures can be considered bonded together by approved connecting fittings. The non metallic raceway requires no bonding - it is not conductive and any attempt at bonding it accomplishes nothing useful.

There is wording in 250.92(B) that basically says bonding of that metallic nipple in your case here can not depend solely on standard locknuts/bushings. Note that this only applies to service raceways, but if you had a typical N3R disconnect with a bolt on hub for your service disconnect - you have a bolt on hub and not a standard locknut/bushing for bonding - additional bonding methods are not necessary in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.