Bonding Liquid Oxygen Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fayc11

Good morning,

Question I have is.... has anybody had the opportunity on bonding Liquid Oxygen Tanks at a hospital?

I have a main tank and a reserve tank along with the piping etc....the oxygen delivery company is requesting that theses tanks should be "grounded"

These tanks, piping etc... have been here for years why all of a sudden now they want them "grounded"?

Would you call it a structure? 2 grounds at least 6 feet apart bonded together along with bonding jumpers between the piping and the frame that the tank sits on and tie to building steel? there are (2) 120 volt circuits with equipment grounding conductors feeding the alarm panels, (1) for main tank and (1) for reserve tank.

Any response would be appreciated.

Thank You

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The basic Standard is NFPA 55. It ultimately refers back to the NEC Article 250 bonding requirements for piping and fixed equipment.

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
The only thing I know of is if electric heaters are used as the primary source of heat then the vaporizing system shall be grounded. But hey I'm in sunny Florida and have never seen such a system.

Given that most are in detached locations and have lots of feet of underground copper I'd think that would qualify. But equal potential bonding is the rage now.

Heard of one inspector requiring a brass shower valve to be bonded. Said valve was connected with plastic piping and attached to wood framing. Seems to my little pea brain and open neutral at the pole would make that bonding more dangerous.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Gould be static electricity. They don't wan't sparks from the delivery truck when they connect to the customers piping. If I am not mistaken they take a jumper cable from the truck and connect it to the piping before connecting the delivery pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.