Bonding metal roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
This house that I'm wiring they decided to put a steel or metal roof on top of it some nice roof decking looking stuff however brings an important question to mind is that should I be running a bonding wire and bonding that metal roof in with the electrical system? yes!! I should but how exactly would I bond a roof I can't put a screw in it obviously any thoughts on this will be helpful guys it's a residential thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
And if the roof is fastened with self tappers with sealing washers, there will be no conductivity between panels.

What if the house gets struck by lightning though the roof in particular wouldn't it need equipotential bonding for low impedance path for the lightning to get the ground?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What if the house gets struck by lightning though the roof in particular wouldn't it need equipotential bonding for low impedance path for the lightning to get the ground?

If the roof isn't connected to earth then wouldn't lightning want to find another path

Check this out-- I cannot verify the integrity of it as any expert on lightning will be vilified by someone else

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
A lighting protection system is far beyond running a small conductor to bond the roof. Lightning protection is not in my wheelhouse, I suspect the lightning system contractors would say "all or nothing".
They may get the metal roof question frequently, suggest you ask them about the metal roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.