Bonding Neutral & Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

We have a 3-wire single phase 240/120V service coming down the pole to an enclosed breaker mounted on the pole. From there, we are required to run 4 conductors from a conduit underground to a building disconnect. The building disconnect is mounted on the exterior of the building and feeds an interior panel.

Here is the problem, an inspector has asked us to bond the ground and the neutral both at service pole breaker and at the building disconnect. This looks like parallel neutrals and a code violation to me. Thoughts?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is not permitted by the code to bond a second time. You have it correct with the bonding at the first disconnect and 4 wires to the building. The building will require a grounding electrode system, but the GEC is only connected to the EGC at the building. It is not connected to the grounded conductor.

quantum

It is not permitted by the code to bond a second time. You have it correct with the bonding at the first disconnect and 4 wires to the building. The building will require a grounding electrode system, but the GEC is only connected to the EGC at the building. It is not connected to the grounded conductor.

I have another question, couldn't we have just ran 3 conductors (H/H/N) from the service disconnect to the building disconnect and bonded them only at that point?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have another question, couldn't we have just ran 3 conductors (H/H/N) from the service disconnect to the building disconnect and bonded them only at that point?
Only if you are on the 2002 or earlier code. Under those older codes you could run 3 wires and bond at both locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.