bonding of a metal structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich2774

I'm wiring a 240volt 40amp hot tub running 3#8's with a #10 ground. the tub is being located in a metal screen house thats connected to the main house its going to be set 12inches from the outer walls. My question is about bonding the metal screen house. 1st does it have to be bonded. And if so can I use a ground rod and bond it to the screen house with #8 solid. Iv'e asked a few people and nobody can give me a definite anwser.

jumper

I'm wiring a 240volt 40amp hot tub running 3#8's with a #10 ground. the tub is being located in a metal screen house thats connected to the main house its going to be set 12inches from the outer walls. My question is about bonding the metal screen house. 1st does it have to be bonded. And if so can I use a ground rod and bond it to the screen house with #8 solid. Iv'e asked a few people and nobody can give me a definite anwser.

Ground rods are for grounding not bonding.

680.43(D) Bonding. The following parts shall be bonded together:
(1) All metal fittings within or attached to the spa or hot
tub structure
(2) Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the
spa or hot tub water circulating system, including pump
motors, unless part of a listed self-contained spa or hot tub
(3) Metal raceway and metal piping that are within 1.5 m
(5 ft) of the inside walls of the spa or hot tub and that
are not separated from the spa or hot tub by a permanent
barrier
(4) All metal surfaces that are within 1.5 m (5 ft) of the
inside walls of the spa or hot tub and that are not
separated from the spa or hot tub area by a permanent
barrier

stickboy1375

You might want to check on the hot tub requirements, most require #6 AWG minimum including the ground wire. Also, if you do bond the screen house, the whole idea of bonding is bringing everything to the same potential, so in order to do that, you would run your # 8 from the screen house to the control box of the hot tub, where you will find a ground bar with everything internal of the hot tub already bonded together.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
isn't this like a pool where there has to be an equipotential bond under the pool that incldues the surrounding metalic parts?

IMO, the OPs install would not be an "outdoor" install so the eq. bod would not be needed

Ground rods are for grounding not bonding.

680.43(D) Bonding. The following parts shall be bonded together:
(1) All metal fittings within or attached to the spa or hot
tub structure
(2) Metal parts of electrical equipment associated with the
spa or hot tub water circulating system, including pump
motors, unless part of a listed self-contained spa or hot tub
(3) Metal raceway and metal piping that are within 1.5 m
(5 ft) of the inside walls of the spa or hot tub and that
are not separated from the spa or hot tub by a permanent
barrier
(4) All metal surfaces that are within 1.5 m (5 ft) of the
inside walls of the spa or hot tub and that are not
separated from the spa or hot tub area by a permanent
barrier

I think that sums it up

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
How is a screen house any different than a screened in porch which is considered "outside".

Your are correct. My ole brain was concentrating on the fact that it is attached to the main structure therefore not a "separate" building and I had that confused with "outside'.. brain fart

I'm not sure it would be universally addressed as "outside" but I'd certainly run it by the local AHJ. The "outside" rules may well apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.