Bonding of Electrical Handholes and Traffic Signal/Lighting Structures

Status
Not open for further replies.

howalder

While working on a set of plans that will bond our existing traffic signal structures in accordance with NEC requirements, I have come across a question that I could use some advice on. The majority of our traffic signal systems have their own separate services, some with external service disconnects and some without. Our statewide specifications now require the use of a bonding conductor connected to each metallic structure (handhole, signal post, mast arm asembly, etc.) to provide an effective ground-fault current path in the event of a fault. In most cases, this involves the installation of a #6 conductor from the electrical service (either the external disconnect if present or to the power terminal strip in the equipment cabinet where the neutral wire is bonded to the ground wire. Each metallic structure is then connected to this "system ground" through the means of a mechanical connection.

However, in one of our downtown systems, the traffic signal installations have their own separate services (usually 120V or 240V), but the luminaires that are mounted to the combination mast arms are connected to the city's lighting system which is fed from a separate 277V service(s). The mast arm poles are already bonded to the 277V lighting system. Would it be acceptable to ground the traffic signal handholes and remaining signal posts using the ground wire from the 277V lighting system or should we install a separate ground wire from our service disconnect or controller cabinet power panel to ensure a low-impedance ground-fault current path? If the lighting ground conductor is coupled to the traffic signal ground conductor, then I would think that this would suffice to provide a low-impedance ground path.

I have asked several of our electrical contractors, and the answers vary, so I would appreciate any information that can be provided on this.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
What is the relationship between the 120/240 service and the 277/480 service?

Are the supplied by the same MV trannies?

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
BTW Welcome to the Forum.:smile:

If your only switching the 277 feeds in your control box I would make sure my polls, hand holes ect. were bonded by the 277V systems EGC. Would it hurt to bond the systems together, I think not but I'm just an installer.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would bond everything together to create an equal potential ground system. Fault current will go back to its source.
But 250.144 for multiple circuit connections requires a means for grounding for each connection per 250.134 and 250.138.

Questions:
Is your 6 AWG EGC insulated and is it green or do you allow reidentification?
Do you use IMSA 19-1 for the signal heads? Is the green used for the green lamp?

277 V circuits require special bonding, I recommend bonding one end of every racway with a grounding bushing or locknut, even on a clean KO.

Tom
IMSA Traffic Signal Tech, Roadway Lighting Tech
Member IES Roadway Lighting Committee

howalder

We specify a #6 XLP-USE cable with green insulation. We use IMSA 19-1 cable for the signal heads with the green conductor being used for the green indication.

tom baker said:
I would bond everything together to create an equal potential ground system. Fault current will go back to its source.
But 250.144 for multiple circuit connections requires a means for grounding for each connection per 250.134 and 250.138.

Questions:
Do you use IMSA 19-1 for the signal heads? Is the green used for the green lamp?

277 V circuits require special bonding, I recommend bonding one end of every racway with a grounding bushing or locknut, even on a clean KO.

Tom

Dear Tom,
I would like to ask for the equi-potential ground system, do you mean to connect all metallic enclosure together from one to another and then connect to ground bus.
Thanks
gk

nakulak

I may be misunderstanding the question, but it seems to me that the loss of life from non-bonded traffic structures has primarily been due to phase to case faults not being cleared. So, while the already grounded posts may very well provide lightning protection grounding, they may not necessarily provide a low impedance fault path to clear the fault back to your service. I think that is what you need to consider when posing the question " does this need to be bonded back to my service".

nakulak said:
I may be misunderstanding the question, but it seems to me that the loss of life from non-bonded traffic structures has primarily been due to phase to case faults not being cleared. So, while the already grounded posts may very well provide lightning protection grounding, they may not necessarily provide a low impedance fault path to clear the fault back to your service. I think that is what you need to consider when posing the question " does this need to be bonded back to my service".

Dear Nakulak,

Excellent advice thru the web site you quoted, to prevent such HV accident by using HV protecive gloves, kits etc.

gk

Equipotential Bonding

Equipotential Bonding

gulkhan123 said:
Dear Nakulak,

Excellent advice thru the web site you quoted, to prevent such HV accident by using HV protecive gloves, kits etc.

Also pls clarify equipotential bonding method. Can we connect all metallic enclosure in the vicinity to one another in sequence and then the last one to the grounding busbar?
Is this a correct method to get equipotential bonding? because it is said that this method is not safe. so i would like to know the most accepted and safe methodplease.

gk

Also pls clarify equipotential bonding method. Can we connect all metallic enclosure in the vicinity to one another in sequence and then the last one to the grounding busbar?
Is this a correct method to get equipotential bonding? because it is said that this method is not safe. so i would like to know the most accepted and safe method please.
gk

nakulak

I'm not sure where the correct answer to your question is going to come from - who is the ahj in this case ? DOT, poco, public service commission ? Is this an NEC item or does it fall under another code (NESC ?). (I don't know the correct answer to your question - just gave my take on it)

tom baker said:

Questions:

Tom

Tom,

I have two things here for your comment pls. 1- For the fault current to flow back to the source, we need equipment grounding conductor(bonded to neutral at service panel). Is that right?
2- To obtain equipotential grounding, can we connect all metallic enclosure together in sequence and then finally to grounding bus bar? Is this correct?

gk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
howalder said:
We specify a #6 XLP-USE cable with green insulation. We use IMSA 19-1 cable for the signal heads with the green conductor being used for the green indication.
Its a good design concept to use an insulated EGC, in case of a it carrying fault current its less likey to damage adjacent conductors due to its getting hot.
Also I highly recommend a product called Penatrox E or Copper Shield, both are liquid copper in oil, use on all threads, and connections, Messy but very very effective.
Green for the signal green lamp is a now a code violation, done all the time.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
gulkhan123 said:
Tom,

I have two things here for your comment pls. 1- For the fault current to flow back to the source, we need equipment grounding conductor(bonded to neutral at service panel). Is that right?
2- To obtain equipotential grounding, can we connect all metallic enclosure together in sequence and then finally to grounding bus bar? Is this correct?

gk
1. Bond all together, include handhole lids and frames if metal back to the source.
2. yes. order dosen't matter much.
I have a PDF of the only technial reference on traffic signal grounding TRB 317, grounding and emf protection of TS, if you PM me with email I can send to you, has a lot of detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.