bonding of solar panal array

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: bonding of solar panal array

You have confused your terms, or at least confused me with your terms. You don't pull an "Equipment Grounding Conductor" (EGC) to a "Grounding Electrode" (e.g., ground rod). Can you explain what you are trying to do?

physis

I'm no expert but I have recently looked pretty closely at article 690. Not so much anything associated with bonding but if you're considering a particular section I might be familiar with it.

The problem I have with article 690 is that the terminology is a dissaster. But I've gotten to a point where I can actually undestand it.

peterpoil

Occupation
Contractor

Charlie, I gess that I am confused, when you ground the aray at the site, do you also pull the eqc to the battery room?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I've never been involved in the design of a solar array. Is their voltage level high enough to warrant (or require) an EGC? If so, then I should think it would have to go from the solar panel to whatever distribution panel exists (probably in the battery room). Have you been able to look for information from the manufacturer?

peterpoil

Occupation
Contractor

Charlie, The array voltage is 48 to 96 vdc, and about 8 to 16 amps. fed underground in PVC conduit to the battery room.

physis

I'm trying to understand this article too. So I'm not really trying to offer advice.

690.71 (for stores battery installations) says that article 480 applies. 480 says that 250 applies. Then 690.71 goes on to say

The interconnected battery cells shall be considered grounded where the photovoltaic power source is installed in accordance with 690.41.
690.41 and 42 covers the array (or system) grounding.

Aslo the array disconnecting means has to disconnect all current carrying conductors.

I think what it all means is that whatever will be the grounded conductor of the DC system will go from the array disconnect to the battery system and that conductor also gets grounded.

If there's a charge controller I end up with even more questions.

Nearer the array is better says the FPN in 690.42.

I gess that I am confused, when you ground the aray at the site, do you also pull the eqc to the battery room?
I think that the grounded conductor of the DC system will already be grounded (like the neutral of a service) and anything else that needs bonding would be bonded as usual. So if you need an EGC then you'd pull one.

Edit: But from what I can gather I don't see a reason to pull an EGC for the pupose of grounding the battery system because that should already be accomplished.

Unless there's a charge controller and I'd guess the controller might handle the grounding on the battery side somehow.

[ August 04, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

Status
Not open for further replies.