Bonding Pallet Racks

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerRoger

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm working on the design for a tire shop that will have pallet racks in the back of their service bays for storing tires. I have been told by another engineer that these need to be bonded to the main electrical grounding busbar since the racks are greater than 12'-0" tall. It seems like the right thing to add but I can't find the code section that requires this. Does anyone know what code this would be and if so, how I would determine the size of the grounding electrode conductor?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know of no NEC section that would require the bonding therefore you're free to use whatever size conductor you like. And what does it being greater than 12' tall have to do with bonding?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NEC states if likely to become energized…now there may be some obscure NFPA document requiring bonding, if so it would be enforceable if that document has been adopted by someone.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Or being in a classified area.
Would that still require bonding? If I remember correctly that would be for a commercial garage and only the first 18" above the floor is considered a classified area so I'm perplexed by the 12' height mentioned in the OP.

RogerRoger

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thank you all for the comments. I agree with what you all have said. One more piece of information I'm just finding is that we will have receptacles (conduit routed from ceiling above) mounted in metal boxes that would be touching the racks. So in my eyes, the pallet racks would be bonded to the building electrical system through the receptacle equipment grounding conductor. Does this change any of the above answers?

Status
Not open for further replies.